1. Kim EA, Lee KS, Johkoh T, et al. Interstitial lung diseases associated with collagen vascular diseases: radiologic and histopathologic findings. RadioGraphics. 2002;22:S151–S165.
2. Freemer M, King T. Connective tissue diseases. In: Schwarz M, King T, eds. Interstitial Lung Disease. 4th ed. Toronto: Brian C Decker; 2003: 535–598.
3. American Thoracic Society; European Respiratory Society. American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society International Multidisciplinary Consensus Classification of the Idiopathic Interstitial Pneumonias. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002;165:277–304.
4. Hwang JH, Misumi S, Sahin H, et al. Computed tomographic features of idiopathic fibrosing interstitial pneumonia: comparison with pulmonary fibrosis related to collagen vascular disease
. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2009;33:410–415.
5. Remy-Jardin M, Remy J, Cortet B, et al. Lung changes in rheumatoid arthritis
: CT findings. Radiology. 1994;193:375–382.
6. Mori S, Cho I, Koga Y, et al. Comparison of pulmonary abnormalities on high-resolution computed tomography
in patients with early versus longstanding rheumatoid arthritis
. J Rheumatol. 2008;35:1513–1521.
7. Perez T, Remy-Jardin M, Cortet B. Airways involvement in rheumatoid arthritis
: clinical, functional, and HRCT findings. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1998;157:1658–1665.
8. Macfarlane JD, Dieppe PA, Rigden BG, et al. Pulmonary and pleural lesions in rheumatoid disease. Br J Dis Chest. 1978;72:288–300.
9. Geddes DM, Corrin B, Brewerton DA, et al. Progressive airway obliteration in adults and its association with rheumatoid disease. Q J Med. 1977;46:427–444.
10. Herzog CA, Miller RR, Hoidal JR. Bronchiolitis and rheumatoid arthritis
. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1981;124:636–639.
11. McCann BG, Hart GJ, Stokes TC, et al. Obliterative bronchiolitis and upper-zone pulmonary consolidation in rheumatoid arthritis
. Thorax. 1983;38:73–74.
12. Hakala M, Paakko P, Sutinen S, et al. Association of bronchiolitis with connective tissue disorders. Ann Rheum Dis. 1986;45:656–662.
13. Sweatman MC, Millar AB, Strickland B, et al. Computed tomography
in adult obliterative bronchiolitis. Clin Radiol. 1990;41:116–119.
14. Aquino SL, Webb WR, Golden J. Bronchiolitis obliterans associated with rheumatoid arthritis
: findings on HRCT and dynamic expiratory CT. J Comput Assist Tomog. 1994;18:555–558.
15. Schwarz MI, Lynch DA, Tuder R. Bronchiolitis obliterans: the lone manifestation of rheumatoid arthritis
? Eur Respir J. 1994;7:817–820.
16. Worthy SA, Müller NL. Small airway diseases. Radiol Clin North Am. 1998;36:163–173.
17. Yousem SA, Colby TV, Carrington CB. Lung biopsy in rheumatoid arthritis
. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1985;131:770–777.
18. Hakala M, Paakko P, Huhti E, et al. Open lung biopsy of patients with rheumatoid arthritis
. Clin Rheumatol. 1990;9:452–460.
19. Hayakawa H, Sato A, Imokawa S, et al. Bronchiolar disease in rheumatoid arthritis
. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1996;154:1531–1536.
20. Balagopal VP, da Costa P, Greenstone MA. Fatal pulmonary hypertension and rheumatoid vasculitis. Eur Respir J. 1995;8:331–333.
21. Kinoshita M, Higashi T, Tanaka C, et al. Follicular bronchiolitis associated with rheumatoid arthritis
. Intern Med. 1992;31:674–677.
22. Howling SJ, Hansell DM, Wells AU, et al. Follicular bronchiolitis: thin-section CT and histologic findings. Radiology. 1999;212:637–642.
23. Metafratzi ZM, Georgiadis AN, Ioannidou CV, et al. Pulmonary involvement in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis
. Scand J Rheumatol. 2007;36:338–344.
24. Deane KD, Simonian PL, Lynch DA, et al. Rheumatoid arthritis
(RA)-related autoantibodies are associated with pulmonary airway abnormalities in individuals without RA. 2008.
25. Gabbay E, Tarala R, Will R, et al. Interstitial lung disease in recent onset rheumatoid arthritis
. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1997;156:528–535.
26. Turner-Warwick M, Evans R. Pulmonary manifestations of rheumatoid disease. Clin Rheum Dis. 1977;3:549–564.
27. Yoshinouchi T, Ohtsuki Y, Fujita J, et al. Nonspecific interstitial pneumonia pattern as pulmonary involvement of rheumatoid arthritis
. Rheumatol Int. 2005;26:121–125.
28. Tanaka N, Kim JS, Newell JD, et al. Rheumatoid arthritis
-related lung diseases: CT findings. Radiology. 2004;232:81–91.
29. Pommepuy I, Farny M, Billey T, et al. Bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis
. Revue Du Rhumatisme, English Edition. 1998;65:65–67.
30. Gammon RB, Bridges TA, al-Nezir H, et al. Bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia associated with systemic lupus erythematosus. Chest. 1992;102:1171–1174.
31. Mroz BJ, Sexauer WP, Meade A, et al. Hemoptysis as the presenting symptom in bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia. Chest. 1997;111:1775–1778.
32. Steinberg DL, Webb WR. CT appearances of rheumatoid lung disease. J Comput Assist Tomog. 1984;8:881–884.
33. Bergin CJ, Muller NL. CT of interstitial lung disease: a diagnostic approach. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1987;148:9–15.
34. Fewins HE, McGowan I, Whitehouse GH, et al. High definition computed tomography
in rheumatoid arthritis
associated pulmonary disease. Br J Rheumatol. 1991;30:214–216.
35. Caplan A. Certain unusual radiological appearances in the chest of coal-miners suffering from rheumatoid arthritis
. Thorax. 1953;8:29–37.
36. Arakawa H, Honma K, Shida H, et al. Computed tomography
findings of Caplan syndrome. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2003;27:758–760.
37. Dawson JK, Goodson NG, Graham DR, et al. Raised pulmonary artery pressures measured with Doppler echocardiography in rheumatoid arthritis
patients. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2000;39:1320–1325.
38. Bouros D, Hatzakis K, Labrakis H, et al. Association of malignancy with diseases causing interstitial pulmonary changes. Chest. 2002;121:1278–1289.
39. Hargreaves MR, Mowat AG, Benson MK. Acute pneumonitis associated with low dose methotrexate treatment for rheumatoid arthritis
: report of five cases and review of published reports. Thorax. 1992;47:628–633.
40. Hilliquin P, Renoux M, Perrot S, et al. Occurrence of pulmonary complications during methotrexate therapy in rheumatoid arthritis
. Br J Rheumatol. 1996;35:441–445.
41. Golden MR, Katz RS, Balk RA, et al. The relationship of preexisting lung disease to the development of methotrexate pneumonitis in patients with rheumatoid arthritis
. J Rheumatol. 1995;22:1043–1047.
42. Mutlu GM, Mutlu EA, Bellmeyer A, et al. Pulmonary adverse events of anti-tumor necrosis factor-alpha antibody therapy. Am J Med. 2006;119:639–646.
43. D'Angelo WA, Fries JF, Masi AT, et al. Pathologic observations in systemic sclerosis (scleroderma
). A study of fifty-eight autopsy cases and fifty-eight matched controls. Am J Med. 1969;46:428–440.
44. Bouros D, Wells AU, Nicholson AG, et al. Histopathologic subsets of fibrosing alveolitis in patients with systemic sclerosis and their relationship to outcome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002;165:1581–1586.
45. Kim DS, Yoo B, Lee JS, et al. The major histopathologic pattern of pulmonary fibrosis in scleroderma
is nonspecific interstitial pneumonia. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis. 2002;19:121–127.
46. Hunzelmann N, Genth E, Krieg T, et al. The registry of the German Network for Systemic Scleroderma
: frequency of disease subsets and patterns of organ involvement. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2008;47:1185–1192.
47. Bhalla M, Silver RM, Shepard J, et al. Chest CT in patients with scleroderma
: prevalence of asymptomatic esophageal dilatation and mediastinal lymphadenopathy. Am J Roentgenol. 1993;161:269–272.
48. Schurawitzki H, Stiglbauer R, Graninger W, et al. Interstitial lung disease in progressive systemic sclerosis: high-resolution CT versus radiography. Radiology. 1990;176:755–759.
49. Remy-Jardin M, Remy J, Wallaert B, et al. Pulmonary involvement in progressive systemic sclerosis: sequential evaluation with CT, pulmonary function tests, and bronchoalveolar lavage. Radiology. 1993;188:499–506.
50. Goldin JG, Lynch DA, Strollo DC, et al. High-resolution CT scan findings in patients with symptomatic scleroderma
-related interstitial lung disease. Chest. 2008;134:358–367.
51. Wells AU, Cullinan P, Hansell DM, et al. Fibrosing alveolitis associated with systemic sclerosis has a better prognosis than lone cryptogenic fibrosing alveolitis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1994;149:1583–1590.
52. Renzoni E, Rottoli P, Coviello G, et al. Clinical, laboratory and radiological findings in pulmonary fibrosis with and without connective tissue disease. Clin Rheumatol. 1997;16:570–577.
53. Muir TE, Tazelaar HD, Colby TV, et al. Organizing diffuse alveolar damage associated with progressive systemic sclerosis. Mayo Clin Proc. 1997;72:639–642.
54. Tashkin DP, Elashoff R, Clements PJ, et al. Cyclophosphamide versus placebo in scleroderma
lung disease. N Engl J Med. 2006;354:2655–2666.
55. Fischer A, Misumi S, Curran-Everett D, et al. Pericardial abnormalities predict the presence of echocardiographically defined pulmonary arterial hypertension in systemic sclerosis-related interstitial lung disease. Chest. 2007;131:988–992.
56. Pearson JE, Silman AJ. Risk of cancer in patients with scleroderma
. Ann Rheum Dis. 2003;62:697–699.
57. Arroliga AC, Podell DN, Matthay RA. Pulmonary manifestations of scleroderma
. J Thorac Imaging. 1992;7:30–45.
58. Harvey AM, Shulman LE, Tumulty PA, et al. Systemic lupus erythematosus: review of the literature and clinical analysis of 138 cases. Medicine (Baltimore). 1954;33:291–437.
59. Estes D, Christian CL. The natural history of systemic lupus erythematosus by prospective analysis. Medicine (Baltimore). 1971;50:85–95.
60. Murin S, Wiedemann HP, Matthay RA. Pulmonary manifestations of systemic lupus erythematosus. Clin Chest Med. 1998;19:641–665.
61. Hunninghake GW, Fauci AS. Pulmonary involvement in the collagen vascular diseases. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1979;119:471–503.
62. Wiedemann HP, Matthay RA. Pulmonary manifestations of systemic lupus erythematosus. J Thorac Imaging. 1992;7:1–18.
63. Swigris JJ, Fischer A, Gillis J, et al. Pulmonary and thrombotic manifestations of systemic lupus erythematosus. Chest. 2008;133:271–280.
64. Fraser R, Pare J, Pare P, et al. Diagnosis of Diseases of the Chest. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders; 1989.
65. Bankier AA, Kiener HP, Wiesmayr MN, et al. Discrete lung involvement in systemic lupus erythematosus: CT assessment. Radiology. 1995;196:835–840.
66. Fenlon HM, Doran M, Sant SM, et al. High-resolution chest CT in systemic lupus erythematosus. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1996;166:301–307.
67. Grigor R, Edmonds J, Lewkonia R, et al. Systemic lupus erythematosus. A prospective analysis. Ann Rheum Dis. 1978;37:121–128.
68. Simonson JS, Schiller NB, Petri M, et al. Pulmonary hypertension in systemic lupus erythematosus. J Rheumatol. 1989;16:918–925.
69. Friedman AW, Targoff IN, Arnett FC. Interstitial lung disease with autoantibodies against aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases in the absence of clinically apparent myositis. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 1996;26:459–467.
70. Love PE, Santoro SA. Antiphospholipid antibodies: anticardiolipin and the lupus anticoagulant in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and in non-SLE disorders. Prevalence and clinical significance. Ann Intern Med. 1990;112:682–698.
71. Schwarz MI. Pulmonary and cardiac manifestations of polymyositis-dermatomyositis. J Thorac Imaging. 1992;7:46–54.
72. Bernstein RM, Morgan SH, Chapman J, et al. Anti-Jo-1 antibody: a marker for myositis with interstitial lung disease. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1984;289:151–152.
73. Douglas WW, Tazelaar HD, Hartman TE, et al. Polymyositis-dermatomyositis-associated interstitial lung disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2001;164:1182–1185.
74. Tazelaar HD, Viggiano RW, Pickersgill J, et al. Interstitial lung disease in polymyositis and dermatomyositis. Clinical features and prognosis as correlated with histologic findings. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1990;141:727–733.
75. Cottin V, Thivolet-Bejui F, Reynaud-Gaubert M, et al. Interstitial lung disease in amyopathic dermatomyositis, dermatomyositis and polymyositis. Eur Respir J. 2003;22:245–250.
76. Arakawa H, Yamada H, Kurihara Y, et al. Nonspecific interstitial pneumonia associated with polymyositis and dermatomyositis: serial high-resolution CT findings and functional correlation. Chest. 2003;123:1096–1103.
77. Akira M, Hara H, Sakatani M. Interstitial lung disease in association with polymyositis-dermatomyositis: long-term follow-up CT evaluation in seven patients. Radiology. 1999;210:333–338.
78. Johkoh T, Ikezoe J, Kohno N, et al. High-resolution CT and pulmonary function tests in collagen vascular disease
: comparison with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Eur J Radiol. 1994;18:113–121.
79. Tansey D, Wells AU, Colby TV, et al. Variations in histological patterns of interstitial pneumonia between connective tissue disorders and their relationship to prognosis. Histopathology. 2004;44:585–596.
80. Mino M, Noma S, Taguchi Y, et al. Pulmonary involvement in polymyositis and dermatomyositis: sequential evaluation with CT. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1997;169:83–87.
81. Ikezoe J, Johkoh T, Kohno N, et al. High-resolution CT findings of lung disease in patients with polymyositis and dermatomyositis. J Thorac Imag. 1996;11:250–259.
82. Taouli B, Brauner MW, Mourey I, et al. Thin-section chest CT findings of primary Sjogren's syndrome: correlation with pulmonary function. Eur Radiol. 2002;12:1504–1511.
83. Franquet T, Gimenez A, Monill JM, et al. Primary Sjogren's syndrome and associated lung disease: CT findings in 50 patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1997;169:655–658.
84. Ichikawa Y, Kinoshita M, Koga T, et al. Lung cyst formation in lymphocytic interstitial pneumonitis: CT features. J Comput Assist Tomog. 1994;18:745–748.
85. Meyer CA, Pina JS, Taillon D, et al. Inspiratory and expiratory high-resolution CT findings in a patient with Sjogren's syndrome and cystic lung disease. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1997;168:101–103.
86. Johkoh T, Müller NL, Pickford HA, et al. Lymphocytic interstitial pneumonia: thin-section CT findings in 22 patients. Radiology. 1999;212:567–572.
87. Honda O, Johkoh T, Ichikado K, et al. Differential diagnosis of lymphocytic interstitial pneumonia and malignant lymphoma on high-resolution CT. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1999;173:71–74.
88. Jeong YJ, Lee KS, Chung MP, et al. Amyloidosis and lymphoproliferative disease in Sjogren syndrome: thin-section computed tomography
findings and histopathologic comparisons. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2004;28:776–781.
89. Sharp GC, Irvin WS, Tan EM, et al. Mixed connective tissue disease--an apparently distinct rheumatic disease syndrome associated with a specific antibody to an extractable nuclear antigen (ENA). Am J Med. 1972;52:148–159.
90. Bodolay E, Szekanecz Z, Devenyi K, et al. Evaluation of interstitial lung disease in mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD). Rheumatology (Oxford). 2005;44:656–661.
91. Prakash UB. Respiratory complications in mixed connective tissue disease. Clin Chest Med. 1998;19:733–746.
92. Kozuka T, Johkoh T, Honda O, et al. Pulmonary involvement in mixed connective tissue disease: high-resolution CT findings in 41 patients. J Thorac Imag. 2001;16:94–98.
93. Fagan KA, Badesch DB. Pulmonary hypertension associated with connective tissue disease. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2002;45:225–234.
94. Sullivan WD, Hurst DJ, Harmon CE, et al. A prospective evaluation emphasizing pulmonary involvement in patients with mixed connective tissue disease. Medicine (Baltimore). 1984;63:92–107.
95. Wiener-Kronish JP, Solinger AM, Warnock ML, et al. Severe pulmonary involvement in mixed connective tissue disease. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1981;124:499–503.
96. Rosenow E, Strimlan CV, Muhm JR, et al. Pleuropulmonary manifestations of ankylosing spondylitis. Mayo Clin Proc. 1977;52:641–649.
97. Hillerdal G. Ankylosing spondylitis lung disease--an underdiagnosed entity? Eur J Respir Dis. 1983;64:437–441.
98. Wolson AH, Rohwedder JJ. Upper lobe fibrosis in ankylosing spondylitis. Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med. 1975;124:466–471.
99. Davies D. Ankylosing spondylitis and lung fibrosis. Q J Med. 1972;41:395–417.
100. Pamuk ON, Harmandar O, Tosun B, et al. A patient with ankylosing spondylitis who presented with chronic necrotising aspergillosis: report on one case and review of the literature. Clin Rheumatol. 2005;24:415–419.
101. Campbell AH, Macdonald CB. Upper lobe fibrosis associated with ankylosing spondylitis. Br J Dis Chest. 1965;59:90–101.