Thank you for your interest in writing for The Hearing Journal (HJ)
covers the latest information in clinical practice, research developments, and technology in hearing health care. Our website, e-newsletter, and print publication serve as a forum for the exchange of ideas between hearing health care professionals. We publish editorials, reviews, original research, unusual case reports, practice-management advice, opinion pieces, and essays about everyday practice in hearing health care written by professionals in the field.
All submitted manuscripts must be original contributions that have never before been published—other than as an abstract or a preliminary report—and are not under consideration for publication anywhere else.
Examples of the range of topics:
- Innovative approaches to identifying and managing hearing loss.
- Interrelationships between hearing loss and other conditions, such as aging, diabetes, and autism.
- State-of-the-art guidance for navigating complex syndromes that have an audiological component.
- Advances in understanding the genetics of hearing loss.
- Advice for negotiating public policy challenges.
- Tools for running a successful practice.
- Tips and techniques for putting new technology into practice.
- Ways to achieve optimal patient outcomes.
- Updates and commentary on professional issues, including the scope of practice, provider relationships, career choices, and education and certification.
HJ is designed for the busy hearing healthcare professional. Submissions should be clear, concise, and engaging.
The typical manuscript lengths published are:
- Op-eds, case report, essay: 700-1,200 words.
- Feature article on a recent peer-reviewed study, poster presentation, or conference session: 1,200-2,000 words.
- Original research: up to 2,000 words and 3 images/figures.
- References must be provided for all quotes, statistics, and statements based on published findings.
- Numbered citations with a reference list in AMA format (not endnotes/footnotes). Maximum of 10 references only.
- Figures/images are encouraged, with explanatory captions of up to 35 words only. Authors are responsible to secure reuse permission for all figures and images in the manuscript. Visit our Rights and Permissions page for details.
Please e-mail submissions to HJ@wolterskluwer.com
with the following details:
- Full name and academic degrees/credentials of author/s
- Short bio (up to 35 words) of each author
- Professional headshot of each author
- Email and phone number of the corresponding author
- Figures and images saved separately in JPEG format
EVALUATION & ACCEPTANCE
All submissions are subject to review and approval by the Editorial Advisory Board and editorial staff. HJ
reserves the right to accept or reject submissions. Promotion of any product/service, organization/program membership, and other paid entities is not permitted. Only non-corporate/non-commercial affiliations will be noted in the author's by-line.
Upon acceptance, author/s must sign HJ’s Authorship Responsibility, Disclosure, and Copyright Transfer form, state all possible professional conflicts of interest in the manuscript, and acknowledge all sources of funding. Accepted submissions must not be published elsewhere in a similar form, in any language, without the consent of Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
All accepted manuscripts will be edited for accuracy, quality, length, and consistency with our style guide. HJ reserves the right to delete texts or figures/images when deemed necessary. HJ does not guarantee that authors will be able to review final proofs due to time constraints in the production schedule.
For questions, please contact Managing Editor, Toni Marie Bacala at HJ@wolterskluwer.com. We look forward to your submissions!