1. Churchill ED: Surgeon to Soldiers
. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott Co, 1972.
2. Teschan PE, Post RS, Smith LH Jr., Abernathy RS, Davis JH, Gray DM, Howard JM, Johnson KE, Klopp E, Mundy RL, et al. Post-traumatic renal insufficiency in military casualties. Am J Med
3. Fulton RL, Jones CE: The cause of post-traumatic pulmonary insufficiency in man. Surg Gynecol Obstet
4. Burke JF, Pontoppidan H, Welch CE: High output respiratory failure-an important cause of death ascribed to peritonitis or ileus. Ann Surg
5. Ashbaugh DG, Bigelow D, Petty TL, Levine BE. Acute respiratory distress in adults. Lancet
6. Skillman JJ, Bushnell LS, Goldman H: Respiratory failure, hypotension, sepsis and jaundice: a clinical syndrome associated with lethal hemorrhage from acute stress ulceration of the stomach. Am J Surg
7. Tilney NL, Ballet GL, Morgan AP: Sequential systems failure after rupture of abdominal aortic aneurysms: an unsolved problem in postoperative care. Ann Surg
8. Baue AE: Multiple, progressive, or sequential system failure. A syndrome of the 1970s. Arch Surg
9. Eiseman B, Beart R, Norton L: Multiple organ failure. Surg Gynecol Obstet
10. Border JR, Chemier R, McManamy RH: Multiple systems organ failure. Muscle fuel deficit with visceral protein malnutrition. Surg Clin North Am
11. Polk HC, Shields CL: Remote organ failure: a valid sign of occult intra-abdominal infection. Surgery
12. Fry DE, Pearlstein L, Fulton RL, Polk HC Jr. Multiple system organ failure: the role of uncontrolled infection. Arch Surg
13. Baue AE, Chaudry IH: Prevention of multiple systems failure. Surg Clin North1 Am
14. Goris R, Bookhorst P, Nuytinick JK, Gimbere JS. Multiple organ failure: generalized autodestructive inflammation. Arch Surg
15. Faist E, Baue AE, Dittmer H, Heberer G. Multiple organ failure in trauma patients. J Trauma
16. McMenamy R, Birkhahn, Reed R, Rumph C, Vaidyanath N, Yu L, Cerra FB, Sorkness R, Border JR. Multiple systems organ failure. The basal state. J Trauma
17. Meakins JL: Etiology of multiple organ failure. J Trauma
30 (12 (Suppl)):5165-5166, 1990.
18. Meakins JL, Marshall JC: The gastrointestinal tract: the "motor" of MOF
. Arch Surg
19. Marshall JC, Christou NV, Meakins JL: The gastrointestinal tract. The "undrained abscess" of multiple organ failure. Ann Surg
20. Carrico CJ, Meakins JL, Marshall JC: Multiple organ failure syndrome. Arch Surg
21. Knaus WA, Draper EA, Wagner DP, Zimmerman JE. Prognosis in acute organ-system failure. Ann Surg
22. Wilmore DW, Orlick L: Systemic responses to injury and healing wound. J Parent Ent Nutr
23. Cerra FB: Hypermetabolism organ failure and metabolic support. Surgery
24. Bell RC, Coalson JJ, Smith JD, Johanson WG Jr. Multiple organ systems failure and infection in adult respiratory distress syndrome. Ann Intern Med
25. Darling GE, Duff JH, Mustard RA, Finley RJ. Multiorgan failure in critically ill patients. Can J Surg
26. Crump JM, Duncan DA, Wears R: Analysis of multiple systems failure in trauma and non-trauma patients. Am Surg
27. Maier RV: Critical care and metabolism. Bull Am Coll Surg
28. Carrico CJ, Meakins JL, Marshall JC, Fry D, Maier RV. Multiple-organ-failure syndrome. Arch Surg
29. Canadian Multiple Organ Failure Study Group. Sepsis clarity of existing terminology… or more confusion. Crit Care Med
30. Pruitt BA: The pathogenesis of multiple organ failure. Arch Surg
31. Ueno H, Hirasawa H, Sugai T, Ohtake Y, Oda S, Nakanishi K, Matsuda K, Kitamura N. Correlation between thrombocytopenia and development of MOF
in critically ill patients. Shock
5: 1996. >abstract 14>.
32. Waydhas C, Nastkolb D, Jochum M, Trupka A, Lenk S, Fritz H, Duswald KH, Schweiberer L. Inflammatory mediators, infection, sepsis and multiple organ failure after severe trauma. Arch Surg
33. Nuytinck HKS, Xavier JM, Goris JA: Whole-body inflammation in trauma patients. Arch Surg
34. Roumen RM, Redl H, Schlag G, Zilow G, Sandtner W, Koller W, Hendriks T, Goris RJ. Inflammatory mediators in relation to the development of multiple organ failure in patients after severe blunt trauma. Crit Care Med
35. DeCamp MM, Demling RH: Posttraumatic multisystem organ failure. JAMA
36. Oda S, Hirasawa H, Sugai T, Shiga H, Matsuda K, Ueno H. Cellular injury score for multiple organ failure severity scoring system. J Trauma
37. Offner PF, Moore EE: Risk factors for MOF
and pattern of organ failure following severe trauma. Chapter 4. In Baue AE, Faist E, Fry DF, (eds.): Multiple Organ Failure
. New York: Springer, 2000.
38. Moore FA, Haenel JB, Moore EE, Whitehill TA: Incommensurate oxygen consumption in response to maximal oxygen availability predicts postinjury multiple organ failure. J Trauma
39. Sauaia A, Moore FA, Moore EE, Lezotte DC: Early risk factors for postinjury multiple organ failure. World J Surg
40. Moore FA, Moore EE, Sauaia A: Blood transfusion: an independent risk factor for postinjury multiple organ failure. Arch Surg
132:620-624, 1997. (discussion 624-625).
41. Sauaia A, Moore FA, Moore EE, et al Norris JM. Lezotte DC, Hamman RF. Multiple organ failure can be predicted as early as 12 hours after injury. J Trauma
45:291-301, 1998. (discussion 301-303).
42. Moore FA, Sauaia A, Moore EE, Haenel JB, Burch JM, Lezotte DC. Postinjury multiple organ failure: a bimodal phenomenon. J Trauma
40:501-510, 1996. (discussion 510-512).
43. Ozawa K, Aoyama H, Yasuda K, Shimahara Y, Nakatani T, Tanaka J, Yamamoto M, Kamiyama Y, Tobe T. Metabolic abnormalities associated with postoperative organ failure. Arch Surg
44. Hyers TM, Gee M, Andreadis NA: Cellular interactions in the multiple organ injury syndrome. Am Rev Respir Dis
45. Bumaschny E, Doglio G, Pusajo J, Vetera L, Parra C, Grosso RM, Schieppati E. Post-operative acute gastrointestinal tract hemorrhage and multiple organ failure. Arch Surg
46. Godin PJ, Buchman TG: Uncoupling of biological oscillators: a complementary hypothesis concerning the pathogenesis of multiple organ dysfunction syndrome. Crit Care Med
47. Vincent JL, DeBaker D: Initial management of circulating shock as prevention of MSOF. Crit Care Clin
48. Baue AE: Multiple organ failure. Patient Care and Prevention
. St. Louis, MO: Mosby Year Book, 1990.
49. Baue AE, Faist E, Fry DE: Multiple organ failure. Pathophysiology, Prevention and Therapy
. New York: Springer-Verlag, 2000.
50. Matuschak GM, (ed.): Multiple systems organ failure
. New York: Marcel Dekker, 1993.
51. Deitch EA: Multiple Organ Failure: Pathophysiology and Basic Concepts of Therapy
. New York: Thieme, 1990.
52. Fry DE: Multiple Systems Organ Failure
. St. Louis, MO: Mosby, 1991.
53. American College of Chest Physicians/Society of Critical Care Medicine Consensus Conference. Definitions for sepsis and multiple organ failure. Crit Care Med
54. Vincent JL: Dear SIRS
, I'm sorry to say that I don't like you. Crit Care Med
55. Bone RL: Let's agree on terminology: definitions of sepsis. Crit Care Med
56. Opal SM: The uncertain value of the definition for SIRS
: systemic inflammatory response syndrome. Chest
57. Marshall JC, Cook DJ, Christou NV: Multiple organ dysfunction syndrome score: a reliable descriptor of a complex clinical outcome. Crit Care Med
58. Norton LW: Does drainage of intraabdominal pus reverse multiple organ failure? Am J Surg
59. Pine RW, Wertz MJ, Lennard ES, Dellinger EP, Carrico CJ, Minshew BH. Determinants of organ malfunction or death in patients with intra-abdominal sepsis. A discriminant analysis. Arch Surg
60. Manship L, McMillian RD, Brown JJ: The influence of sepsis and multisystem organ failure on mortality in the surgical intensive care unit. Ann Surg
61. Marshall JC, Christou NV, Horn R, Meakins JL: The microbiology of multiple organ failure. The proximal gastrointestinal tract as an occult reservoir of pathogens. Arch Surg
62. Dobb GJ: Multiple organ failure-"Words mean what I say they mean." Intensive Care World
63. Hebert PC, Drummond AJ, Singer J, Bernard GR, Russell JA. A simple multiple system organ failure scoring system predicts mortality of patients who have sepsis syndrome. Chest
64. Rubin DB, Matthay MA, Weinberg PF, et al: Factor VIII antigen: possible plasma marker of progressive acute lung injury in patients with sepsis. Am Rev Respir Dis
65. Kollef M: Ventilator-associated pneumonia. A multivariate analysis. JAMA
66. Tran DD, Cuesta MA, van Leeuwen PA, Nauta JJ, Wesdorp RI. Risk factors for multiple organ systems failure and death in critically injured patients. Surgery
67. Bihari D, Smithies M, Gimson A, Tinker J. The effects of vasodilation with prostacyclin on oxygen deliver and uptake in critically ill patients. N Engl J Med
68. Saffle JR, Larson CM, Sullivan J, Shelby J. The continuing challenge of burn care in the elderly. Surgery
69. Henao FJ, Daes JE, Dennis RJ: Risk factors of multiorgan failure: a case-control study. J Trauma
70. Baker CC: Trauma in the 1980s: the "success story" of multiple organ failure. Adv Trauma
71. Siegel JH, Rivkind AI, Dalal SA, Goodarzi S. Early physiological predictors of injury severity and death in blunt multiple trauma. Arch Surg
72. Deitch EA: Multiple organ failure. Pathophysiology and basic concepts of therapy
. New York: Thieme, 1990.
73. Anderson B, Harken A: Multiple organ failure; inflammatory priming and activation sequences promote autologous tissue injury. J Trauma
74. Goodwin CW, Session V: Sepsis and organ failure. Multiple organ failure: clinical overview of the syndrome. J Trauma
20 (Suppl):S163-S169, 1990.
75. Baue AE: The horror autotoxicus and multiple-organ failure. Arch Surg
76. Baue AE: MOF
: an update. Shock
6(Suppl 1):S1-S5, 1996.
77. Baue AE: Multiple organ failure, multiple organ dysfunction syndrome and systemic inflammatory response syndrome. Why no magic bullets? Arch Surg
78. Baue AE, Durham R, Faist E: SIRS
-are we winning the battle? Shock
79. Baue AE: A debate on the subject "Are SIRS
important entities in the clinical evaluation of patients?" The con position. Shock
80. Baue AE: Multiple organ failure (MOF
) in this new millenium. Crit Care Shock
81. Chaudry IH: Cellular and molecular biological approaches to the pathophysiology of multiple organ failure. J Jpn Soc Int Care Med
6 (Suppl):82-83, 1999.
82. Ruokonen E, Takala J, Kari A: Regional blood flow and oxygen transport in patients with low cardiac output syndrome after cardiac surgery. Crit Care Med
83. Dorinsky PM, Gadek JE: Multiple organ failure clinics. Clin Chest Med
84. Cerra FB, Siegel JH, Coleman B, Border JR, McMenamy RR. Autocannibalism, a failure of exogenous nutritional support. Ann Surg
85. Yao YM, Redl H, Bahrami S, Schlag G: The inflammatory basis of trauma/shock associated with multiple organ failure. Inflamm Res