Secondary Logo

Journal Logo

Institutional members access full text with Ovid®

INTRAVITREAL INJECTION OF BEVACIZUMAB COMBINED WITH VERTEPORFIN PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPY FOR CHOROIDAL NEOVASCULARIZATION IN AGE-RELATED MACULAR DEGENERATION

SMITH, BRADLEY T. MD*†; DHALLA, MANDEEP S. MD*†‡; SHAH, GAURAV K. MD*†; BLINDER, KEVIN J. MD*†; RYAN, EDWIN H. JR MD§; MITTRA, ROBERT A. MD§

doi: 10.1097/IAE.0b013e31816b316e
Original Articles
Buy

Purpose: To report the outcome for eyes treated with intravitreal injection of bevacizumab combined with verteporfin photodynamic therapy (PDT) for choroidal neovascularization (CNV) in age-related macular degeneration (AMD).

Study Design and Participants: Interventional, consecutive, retrospective case series including 40 eyes of 40 patients with newly diagnosed juxtafoveal or subfoveal CNV secondary to AMD.

Methods: The charts of patients treated with a 1.25-mg intravitreal injection of bevacizumab followed by PDT within a 2-week period were reviewed. Main outcome measures were visual acuity stabilization (defined as no change or a gain in visual acuity) and need for retreatment.

Results: Thirty-three (83%) of 40 eyes had stabilization of visual acuity. Mean improvement in visual acuity was 1.73 lines. Twenty-six eyes (65%) required only a single intravitreal injection of bevacizumab combined with PDT. Of the 23 eyes with 12 months of follow-up, 17 (74%) had stabilization of visual acuity, while 9 (40%) had improvement in visual acuity (mean, 1.22 Snellen lines). Eleven eyes (48%) required only a single combined treatment for CNV resolution at the 12-month follow-up. Fifteen (88%) of 17 eyes with only 6 months of follow-up required only a single combined treatment. There were no complications such as endophthalmitis, uveitis, or ocular hypertension.

Conclusion: These findings suggest that eyes treated with both intravitreal injection of bevacizumab and PDT require none to a minimal number of re-treatments to have stabilization of vision, even at 12 months of follow-up. Further investigation with large controlled trials is warranted to outline the appropriate treatment paradigm for combination therapy.

The findings of this study suggest that eyes treated with both intravitreal injection of bevacizumab and photodynamic therapy require none to a minimal number of retreatments to have stabilization of vision, even at 12 months of follow-up. Further investigation with large controlled trials is warranted to outline the appropriate treatment paradigm for combination therapy.

From *Barnes Retina Institute, St. Louis, Missouri; the †Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri; ‡the Retina Group of Florida, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida; and §Vitreoretinal Surgery, PA, Edina, Minnesota.

The authors have no proprietary interest in this article.

Reprint requests: Gaurav K. Shah, MD, 1600 South Brentwood Boulevard, Suite 800, St. Louis, MO 63144; e-mail: gkshah1@gmail.com

© The Ophthalmic Communications Society, Inc.