1. Dandrolene is currently the only specific treatment option for the management of malignant hyperthermia. According to the literature, the non-availability of this drug leads to an overall mortality of around1:
- (a) 35%
- (b) 55%
- (c) 80%
- (d) 95%
2. The publication by Arias-Botero, Segura-Cardona, Acosta Rodríguez et al2, on the assessment of a safe environment of the operating rooms in 6 level III hospitals in the Republic of Colombia, the lowest score—a poorer perception of the level of environmental safety—assigned by the anesthesiologists was:
- (a) The frequency of adverse events reported
- (b) A non-punitive response to error
- (c) Open communications and feedback
- (d) Work overload
3. The IPACK (infiltration between popliteal artery and capsule of the knee) technique was implemented by Elliot and Thobhani in 2014 for the management of analgesia in knee surgery. Is it true that this block3:
- (a) Provides adequate analgesia to the anteromedial region of the knee, but may impair quadriceps femoris contractility
- (b) Blocks the most distal segment of the femoral nerve
- (c) Blocks the superomedial and lateral genicular nerves, branches of the sciatic nerve, and articular branches of the obturator nerve
- (d) Only blocks the articular branches of the obturator nerve in the popliteal region
4. The so-called submental intubation (SI) originally described by Hernández in 1986, is an alternative to intraoperative tracheostomy. This approach may be indicated for airway management of patients with4:
- (a) Orthognathic surgery
- (b) Comminuted midface fractures
- (c) Skull-base surgery
- (d) All of the above
5. Which is currently the test of choice and the reference for a patient with suspected coronavirus infection SARS-CoV-2?5–7
- (a) Amplification of nucleic acids by polymerase chain reaction (PCR)
- (b) Antigen detection test
- (c) Antibody detection tests (IgG, IgM)
- (d) Lung CT
6. Generally speaking, the incubation period for coronavirus SARS-Cov-19 is roughly an average of8:
- (a) 2 days
- (b) 5 days
- (c) 11 days
- (d) 14 days
7. Which of the following radiological images is considered to be typical of coronavirus SARS-CoV-2-related pneumonia?9
- (a) Consolidation
- (b) Thickening of the adjacent pleura
- (c) Ground glass opacities
- (d) Interlobular thickening
8. When interpreting the antibody detection techniques for coronavirus SARS-Cov-2, an IgM (−), IgG (+) result is characteristic of10,11:
- (a) No infection or very early infection
- (b) Acute infection
- (c) More advanced acute infection
- (d) Past infection (recovery)
9. For the management of an anticipated difficult airway, both fibrobronchoscopy (FBC) and videolaryngoscopy (VL) have been used with a high success rate. In general, how many FBC procedures should an anesthesiologist conduct to achieve a basic learning curve and how many VL intubations should be performed to accomplish the same level of proficiency?12
- (a) 15 with FBC and 10 with VL
- (b) 25 with FBC and 15 with VL
- (c) 25 with FBC and 6 with VL
- (d) 12 with FBC and 6 with VL
10. In the publication by Rincón-Montaña, Bernal-Vargas, and Rosselli about the gender gap for admission to specialization in anesthesiology in Colombia, between 2007 and 2017, the percentage of women increased from approximately 30% to around13:
- (a) 33%
- (b) 35%
- (c) 38%
- (d) 40%
- (1) c
- (2) a
- (3) c
- (4) d
- (5) a
- (6) b
- (7) c
- (8) d
- (9) c
- (10) d
1. Rincón-Valenzuela DA, Gómez-Ardila C. Cost–benefit relationship of keeping dantrolene stocks from the point of view of healthcare institutions. Colombian Journal of Anesthesiology 2020;48:63–70.
2. Arias-Botero JH, Segura-Cardona ÁM, Acosta Rodríguez F, et al. Patient safety climate in operating rooms at Colombian hospitals: differences by profession and type of contract. Colombian Journal of Anesthesiology 2020;48:71–77.
3. Caballero-Lozada AF, Gómez JM, Ramírez JA, et al. IPACK block: emerging complementary analgesic technique for total knee arthroplasty. Colombian Journal of Anesthesiology 2020;48:78–84.
4. Alejandri-Gamboa V, Téllez-Rodríguez PJ, López-Fernández MCR, et al. Submental intubation in pediatric maxillofacial surgery: report of 2 cases. Colombian Journal of Anesthesiology 2020;48:91–95.
5. World Health Organization. Laboratory testing for 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in suspected human cases. Interim guidance [Internet] 2020;[Cited April 29, 2020]. Available at: https://www.who.int/publicationsdetail/laboratorytesting-for-2019-novel-coronavirus-in-suspected-human-cases-20200117
6. Jason Chin-Huat YAP, Ian Yi Han ANG, Sharon Hui Xuan TAN, et al. COVID-19 science report: diagnostics. [email protected]
7. Wang D, Hu B, Hu C, et al. Clinical characteristics of 138 hospitalized patients with 2019 novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia in Wuhan. JAMA 2020;323:1061–1069.
8. Lauer SA, Grantz KH, Bi Q, et al. The incubation period of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) from publicly reported confirmed cases: estimation and application. Ann Intern Med 2020;172:577–582.
9. Xu X, Yu C, Qu J, et al. Imaging and clinical features of patients with 2019 novel SARS-Cov-V2 Imaging and clinical features of patients with 2019 novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2. Xu Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2020;47:1275–1280.
10. World Health OrganizationNovel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) technical guidance: laboratory testing for 2019-nCoV in humans [Internet] 2020;[Cited March 26, 2020]. Available at: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novelcoronavirus2019/technicalguidance/laboratory-guidance
11. Onoda M, Martínez Chamorro MJ. Grupo de Patología Infecciosa de la Asociación Española de Pediatría de Atención PrimariaPruebas diagnósticas de laboratorio de COVID-19 [Internet] 2020;[Cited April 29, 2020]. Available at: https://aepap.org/grupos/grupo-de-Patologiainfecciosa/contenido/documentos-delgpi
12. González-Giraldo D, Largo-Pineda CE, Zamudio-Burbano MA. Successful rescue with videolaryngoscopy after failed fibroscopy in anticipated difficult airway: case series. Colombian Journal of Anesthesiology 2020;48:96–99.
13. Rincón-Montaña M, Bernal-Vargas MP, Rosselli D. Gender gap in anesthesiology in Colombia. Colombian Journal of Anesthesiology 2020;48:100–101.