QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
1. The mechanism of action of dipyrone (metamizole) is directly related to the inhibition of TRPA1 signaling. Its use as an antipyretic and analgesic is associated with severe adverse effects, being the most frequent1:
- Toxic epidermal necrosis.
- Aplastic anemia.
- Acute porphyria attack.
2. In the work of Casas-Arroyave et al2 on the evaluation of a closed-loop intravenous total anesthesia delivery system compared to an open-loop system, it was found that:
- The closed-loop system presents a good to excellent anesthetic control in about 80% of the patients tested.
- The Bispectral Index (BIS) time percentage below 40 was more frequent in the closed loop.
- The open loop system places almost 30% of patients in the ranges of poor or inadequate anesthetic depth.
- Wake-up time was significantly longer with closed loop compared to open loop.
3. In the descriptive study by Fernández et al3 on management and perioperative outcomes of head trauma, it was found that the main neurological injury was:
- Extradural hematoma.
- Intraparenchymal hematoma.
- A combination of subdural hematoma and subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- A combination of extradural hematoma and subdural hematoma.
4. According to Fernández et al's3 work on management and perioperative outcomes of head trauma, the most frequent postoperative complication was:
- Adult acute respiratory distress syndrome.
- Ventilator-associated pneumonia.
5. With respect to the learning process, in the structure of mental models there are 4 main dimensions described. In which of the following dimensions is reference made to the individual's vital and developmental process?4:
6. With respect to Isolated left ventricular non-compaction cardiomyopathy (ILVNC), all of the following are true, except5:
- It can be congenital or acquired.
- It can manifest as sudden death.
- The definitive diagnosis is based on cardiac resonance imaging.
- Women are more affected than men.
7. In relation to fetal pain, it is considered that nociceptive stimuli can generate neuroendocrine and hemodynamic responses from6:
- 12 to 16 of gestation.
- 18 to 20 gestation.
- 21 to 23 gestation.
- 25 of gestation.
8. Adenosine is a nucleoside used for the treatment of supraventricular tachycardias and in the management of brain aneurysms by inducing periods of asystole. Which of the following statements is false?7:
- Repeated doses are possible because adenosine does not cause tachyphylaxis.
- The proarrhythmic potential can induce ventricular tachycardia.
- The most common arrhythmia is atrial fibrillation.
- Adenosine can cause rebound hypertension when used in more than 3 doses.
9. Pain is the most frequent symptom in patients with cancer in advanced stages, occurring between 70% and 90% of cases, and has the following characteristic8:
- Most often, it is of neuropathic origin.
- Approximately 40% of cases are caused directly by the tumor.
- An incidence of approximately 40% related to chemotherapy is reported.
- Its etiology is mixed: somatic, visceral, and neuropathic.
10. In general terms, the routine use of desmopressin in cardiac surgery is not indicated. In which subgroup of patients is its use suggested?9:
- Aspirin treatment patient.
- Extracorporeal circulation over 140 minutes.
- Patients with platelet dysfunction.
- All of the above.
1. Gómez-Duarte OG. Is it time to restrict the clinical use of dipyrone? Colomb Journal Anesthesiol
2. Casas-Arroyave FD, Fernández JM, Zuleta-Tobón JJ. Evaluation of a closed-loop intravenous total anesthesia delivery system with BIS monitoring compared to an open-loop target-controlled infusion (TCI) system: randomized controlled clinical trial. Colomb Journal Anesthesiol
3. Fernández LMG, Ortiz-Velásquez LA, Casas-Arroyave FD. Management and perioperative outcomes of traumatic brain injury: retrospective study. Colomb Journal Anesthesiol
4. Díaz-Guio DA, Ruiz-Ortega FJ. Relationship among mental models, theories of change, and metacognition: structured clinical simulation. Colomb Journal Anesthesiol
5. Khanna S, Bustamante S. Isolated left ventricular non compaction cardiomyopathy in pregnancy. Colomb Journal Anesthesiol
6. Chango-Salas MB, Vanegas-Mendieta JM, Mena-López AV. Fetal anaesthesia for twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome and fetal hydrothorax drainage: case report. Colomb Journal Anesthesiol
7. Quiroz-Murga E, Simon-Scamarone G. Atrial fibrillation with hemodynamic instability after the use of the third dose of adenosine during surgery for seven intracranial aneurysms: case report. Colomb Journal Anesthesiol
8. Pabón-Muñoz FE, Luna-Montufar CA, Ramiro Paredes M. The ultrasound-guided erector spinae plane (ESP) block in chronic pain due to bone metastasis: case report. Colomb Journal Anesthesiol
9. Chaparro-Mendoza K, Prado-Gómez N, Acevedo M. Challenging the management of bleeding and coagulopathy in ascending aortic surgery in a Jehovah's witness patient: case report. Colomb Journal Anesthesiol