Nanotechnology is a novel technology which will likely lead to advancements in the art and science of plastic surgery. Special nano-enhanced materials can potentially be used to promote healing, control infection, restore function, and aid nerve regeneration and rehabilitation. Microelectromechanical systems nanotechnology offers the ability to develop miniaturized implants for use in the treatment of numerous conditions. Electrical stimulation has several potential applications in plastic surgery, ranging from the restoration of facial animation following tumor ablation or trauma to serving an adjunctive role in myoelectric prostheses. We have developed a microelectromechanical systems–based electrochemical stimulation method that is potentially implantable, clinically efficacious, and durable which might be used to treat a multitude of clinical conditions and provide a platform for the management of nervous dysfunction syndromes.
The patient provided written consent for the use of her image.
3. Pautler M, Brenner S. Nanomedicine: Promises and challenges for the future of public health. Int J Nanomedicine 2010;5:803–809.
4. Nasir AR, Brenner SA. Think small: Nanotechnology for plastic surgeons. Ann Plast Surg. Epublished ahead of print March 6, 2012.
5. Kim BY, Rutka JT, Chan WC. Nanomedicine. N Engl J Med. 2010;363:2434–2443.
6. Melancon MP, Lu W, Yang Z, et al.. In vitro and in vivo targeting of hollow gold nanoshells directed at epidermal growth factor receptor for photothermal ablation therapy. Mol Cancer Ther. 2008;7:1730–1739.
7. Weldon C, Tian B, Kohane DS. Nanotechnology for surgeons. Wiley Interdiscip Rev Nanomed Nanobiotechnol. 2011;3:223–228.
8. Chen Y, Bathula SR, Yang Q, et al.. Targeted nanoparticles deliver siRNA to melanoma. J Invest Dermatol. 2010;130:2790–2798.
9. Singhal S, Nie S, Wang MD. Nanotechnology applications in surgical oncology. Annu Rev Med. 2010;61:359–373.
10. Schulz MD, Khullar O, Frangioni JV, et al.. Nanotechnology in thoracic surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2010;89:S2188–S2190.
11. Khullar O, Frangioni JV, Grinstaff M, et al.. Image-guided sentinel lymph node mapping and nanotechnology-based nodal treatment in lung cancer using invisible near-infrared fluorescent light. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009;21:309–315.
12. Feng L, Qi XR, Zhou XJ, et al.. Pharmaceutical and immunological evaluation of a single-dose hepatitis B vaccine using PLGA microspheres. J Control Release 2006;112:35–42.
13. Collins A, Nasir A. Topical botulinum toxin. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2010;3:35–39.
14. Chajchir I, Modi P, Chajchir A. Novel topical BoNTA (CosmeTox, toxin type A) cream used to treat hyperfunctional wrinkles of the face, mouth, and neck. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 32:715–722; discussion 723, 2008.
15. Cockerham K, Aro S, Liu W, et al.. Application of MEMS technology and engineering in medicine: A new paradigm for facial muscle reanimation. Expert Rev Med Devices 2008;5:371–381.
16. Griffin GR, Kim JC. Potential of an electric prosthesis for dynamic facial reanimation. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011;145:365–368.
17. Hijjawi JB, Kuiken TA, Lipschutz RD, et al.. Improved myoelectric prosthesis control accomplished using multiple nerve transfers. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006;118:1573–1578.
18. Salerno GM, Bleicher JN, Stromberg BV. Blink reflex recovery after electrical stimulation of the reinnervated orbicularis oculi muscle in dogs. Ann Plast Surg. 1990;25:360–371.
19. Nemoto K, Williams HB, Lough J, et al.. The effects of electrical stimulation on denervated muscle using implantable electrodes. J Reconstr Microsurg. 4: 251-1988;255:257.
20. Shen N, Zhu J. Experimental study using a direct current electrical field to promote peripheral nerve regeneration. J Reconstr Microsurg. 1995;11:189–193.
21. Russo CR, Leite MT, Gomes HC, et al.. Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation in viability of a random skin flap in nicotine-treated rats. Ann Plast Surg. 2006;57:670–672.
22. Van Beek A, Hubble B, Kinkead L, et al.. Clinical use of nerve stimulation and recording techniques. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1983;71:225–240.
23. Nene AV, Patrick JH. Energy cost of paraplegic locomotion using the ParaWalker–electrical stimulation “hybrid” orthosis. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1990;71:116–120.
24. Peckham PH, Knutson JS. Functional electrical stimulation for neuromuscular applications. Annu Rev Biomed Eng. 2005;7:327–360.
25. Song YA, Melik R, Rabie AN, et al.. Electrochemical activation and inhibition of neuromuscular systems through modulation of ion concentrations with ion-selective membranes. Nature Materials 2011;10:980–986.
26. Kim DH, Ahn JH, Choi WM, et al.. Stretchable and foldable silicon integrated circuits. Science 2008;320:507–511.
27. Barr S, Hill E, Bayat A. Current implant surface technology: An examination of their nanostructure and their influence on fibroblast alignment and biocompatibility. Eplasty 2009;9:e22.
28. Heunis TD, Dicks LM. Nanofibers offer alternative ways to the treatment of skin infections. J Biomed Biotechnol. Epublished ahead of print July 28, 2010.
29. Chun YW, Webster TJ. The role of nanomedicine in growing tissues. Ann Biomed Eng. 2009;37:2034–2047.
30. Tian J, Wong KK, Ho CM, et al.. Topical delivery of silver nanoparticles promotes wound healing. ChemMedChem 2007;2:129–136.
31. Stubinger S, Ghanaati S, Orth C, et al.. Maxillary sinus grafting with a nano-structured biomaterial: Preliminary clinical and histological results. Eur Surg Res. 2009;42:143–149.
32. Adamopoulos O, Papadopoulos T. Nanostructured bioceramics for maxillofacial applications. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2007;18:1587–1597.
33. Bleicher JN, Hamiel S, Gengler JS, et al.. A survey of facial paralysis: Etiology and incidence. Ear Nose Throat J. 1996;75:355–358.
34. Kimata Y, Sakuraba M, Hishinuma S, et al.. Free vascularized nerve grafting for immediate facial nerve reconstruction. Laryngoscope 2005;115:331–336.
35. Wang W, Itoh S, Matsuda A, et al.. Enhanced nerve regeneration through a bilayered chitosan tube: The effect of introduction of glycine spacer into the CYIGSR sequence. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2008;85:919–928.
36. Ding T, Luo ZJ, Zheng Y, et al.. Rapid repair and regeneration of damaged rabbit sciatic nerves by tissue-engineered scaffold made from nano-silver and collagen type I. Injury 2010;41:522–527.