Parents or guardians or the patient provided written consent for the use of the patients' images.
The authors thank Eddy Y. Xuan, M.Sc., B.M.C., B.Eng., for creation of the cleft lip nasal deformity video; Mark Sawyer, B.Sc.(Hons.), Dip. Photography, for assistance in video preparation; and Mike Bezuhly, F.R.C.S.C., for assistance in writing the submitted multiple-choice questions.
1. Noordhoff MS. The Surgical Technique for the Unilateral Cleft Lip-Nasal Deformity. Taipei, Taiwan: Noordhoff Craniofacial Foundation; 1997.
2. Pool R. The configurations of the unilateral cleft lip, with reference to the rotation advancement repair. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1966;37:558–565.
3. Boorer CJ, Cho DC, Vijayasekaran VS, Fisher DM. Presurgical unilateral cleft lip anthropometrics: Implications for the choice of repair technique. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011;127:774–780.
4. Nicolau PJ. The orbicularis muscle: A functional approach to its repair in the cleft lip. Br J Plast Surg. 1983;36:141–153.
5. De Mey A, Van Hoof I, De Roy G, Lejour M. Anatomy of the orbicularis oris muscle in cleft lip. Br J Plast Surg. 1989;42:710–714.
6. Fisher DM, Mann RJ. A model for the cleft lip nasal deformity. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1998;101:1448–1456.
7. Sommerlad BC, Fenn C, Harland K, et al.. Submucous cleft palate: A system of grading and a review of a consecutive series of 40 submucous cleft palate repairs. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2004;41:114–123.
8. Boorman JG, Sommerlad BC. Levator palati and palatal dimples: Their anatomy, relationship and clinical significance. Br J Plast Surg. 1985;38:326–332.
9. Grayson BH, Cutting CB. Presurgical nasoalveolar orthopedic molding in primary correction of the nose, lip, and alveolus of infants born with unilateral and bilateral clefts. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2001;38:193–198.
10. Grayson BH, Maull D. Nasoalveolar molding for infants born with clefts of the lip, alveolus, and palate. Clin Plast Surg. 2004;31:149–158.
11. Suri S, Tompson BD. A modified muscle-activated maxillary orthopedic appliance for presurgical nasoalveolar molding in infants with unilateral cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2004;41:225–229.
12. Friede H, Johanson B. A follow-up study of cleft children treated with primary bone grafting: I. Orthodontic aspects. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg. 1974;8:88–103.
13. Friede H, Lilja J. Dentofacial morphology in adolescent or early adult patients with cleft lip and palate after a treatment regimen that included vomer flap surgery and push back palatal repair. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg. 1994;28:113–121.
14. Santiago PE, Grayson BH, Cutting CB, Gianoutsos MP, Brecht LE, Kwon SM. Reduced need for alveolar bone grafting by presurgical orthopedics and primary gingivoperiosteoplasty. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 1998;35:77–80.
15. Matic DB, Power SM. Evaluating the success of gingivoperiosteoplasty versus secondary bone grafting in patients with unilateral clefts. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008;121:1343–1353; discussion 1368–1369.
16. Thompson HG. Unilateral cleft lip repair. Oper Tech Plast Reconstr Surg. 1995;2:175–181.
17. Lalonde D. The six most important lessons I have learned in cleft lip repair while watching and performing the operation in 13 countries from 1996–2003. Paper presented at: 58th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons; June 2–5, 2004; Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
18. Paré A. Dix Livres de la Chirurgie. Paris: Jean de Roger; 1564.
19. Rose W. On Harelip and Cleft Palate. London: HK Lewis; 1986.
20. Thompson JE. An artistic and mathematically accurate method of repairing the defects in cases of harelip. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1912;14:498–505.
21. Blair VP, Brown JB. Mirault operation for single hairlip. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1930;51:81–98.
22. Le Mesurier AB. Method of cutting and suturing lip in complete unilateral cleft lip. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1949;4:1–12.
23. Tennison CW. The repair of the unilateral cleft lip by the stencil method. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1952;9:115–120.
24. Randall P. A triangular flap operation for the primary repair of unilateral clefts of the lip. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1959;23:331–347.
25. Millard DR Jr. Complete unilateral clefts of the lip. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1960;25:595–605.
26. Millard DR. Extensions of the rotation-advancement principle for wide unilateral cleft lips. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1968;42:535–544.
27. Mohler LR. Unilateral cleft lip repair. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1987;80:511–517.
28. Fisher DM. Unilateral cleft lip repair: An anatomical subunit approximation technique. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005;116:61–71.
29. Pichler H. Uber Lippen- und Gaumenspalten. Dtsch Z Chir. 1926;195:104–107.
30. Anderl H, Hussl H, Ninlovic M. Primary simultaneous lip and nose repair in the unilateral cleft lip and palate. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008;121:959–970.
31. Mulliken JB. Principles and techniques of bilateral complete cleft lip repair. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1985;75:477–487.
32. Mulliken JB. Primary repair of bilateral complete cleft lip and nasal deformity. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2001;108:181–194.
33. Chen PKT, Noordhoff MS. Bilateral cleft lip and nose repair. In: Losee JE, Kirschner RE, eds. Comprehensive Cleft Care. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2009:331–342.
34. Fisher DM. Bilateral cleft lip. In: Guyuron B, Eriksson E, Persing J, eds. Plastic Surgery. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2009:493–504.
35. Dorf DS, Curtin JW. Early cleft palate repair and speech outcome. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1982;70:74–81.
36. Ysunza A, Pamplona MC, Mendoza M, Garcia-Velasco M, Aguilar MP, Guerrero ME. Speech outcome and maxillary growth in patients with unilateral cleft lip/palate operated on at 6 versus 12 months of age. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1998;102:675–679.
37. Lilja J, Mars M, Elander A, et al.. Analysis of dental arch relationships in Swedish unilateral cleft lip and palate subjects: 20-year longitudinal consecutive series treated with delayed hard palate closure. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2006;43:606–611.
38. Malek R, Martinez H, Mousset M-R, Trichet C. Multidisciplinary management of cleft lip and palate in Paris, France. In: Bardach J, Morris HL, eds. Multidisciplinary Management of Cleft Lip and Palate. Philadelphia: Saunders; 1990:1–10.
39. De May A, Franck D, Cuylits N, Swennen G, Malevez C, Lejour M. Early one-stage repair of complete unilateral cleft lip and palate. J Craniofac Surg. 2009;20:1723–1728.
40. von Langenbeck B. Weitere Erfahrungen im Gebiete der Uranoplastik mittels Ablosung des mucosperiostalen Gaumenuberzuges. Arch Klin Chir. 1864;5:1–70.
41. Mahoney MH, Fisher DM. An audit of primary palatoplasty: One surgeon/485 cases/10 years. Paper presented at: 64th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons; June 15-19, 2010; Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
42. Veau V. Division Palatine. Paris: Masson; 1931.
43. Veau V, Ruppie C. Anatomie chirurgicale de la division palatine: Considerations operatoires. Rev Chir. 1922;20:1–30.
44. Wardill WEM. Technique of operation for cleft lip and palate. Br J Surg. 1937;25:117–130.
45. Kilner TP. Cleft lip and palate repair technique. In: Maingot R, ed. Postgraduate Surgery. Vol. 3. London: Medical Publishers; 1937:3800–3827.
46. Witzel MA, Clarke JA, Lindsay WK, Thomson HG. Comparison of results of pushback or von Langenbeck repair of isolated cleft of the hard and soft palate. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1979;64:347–352.
47. Bardach J, Salyer KE. Cleft palate repair. In: Bardach J, Salyer KE, eds. Surgical Techniques in Cleft Lip and Palate. St. Louis, Mo: Mosby; 1991:224–273.
48. Gillett DA, Clarke HM. The hybrid palatoplasty: A preliminary report. Can J Plast Surg. 1996;4:157–160.
49. Sommerlad BC. A technique for cleft palate repair. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003;112:1542–1548.
50. Kriens O. Fundamental anatomic findings for an intravelar veloplasty. Cleft Palate J. 1970;7:27–36.
51. Sommerlad BC. Cleft palate. In: Guyuron B, Eriksson E, Persing J, eds. Plastic Surgery. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2009:505–520.
52. Sommerlad BC. Cleft palate repair. In: Losee JE, Kirschner R, eds. Comprehensive Cleft Care. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2009:399–412.
53. Sommerlad BC. The use of an operating microscope in cleft palate repair and pharyngoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003;112:1540–1541.
54. Furlow LT Jr. Cleft palate repair by double opposing Z-plasty. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1986;78:724–738.
55. Furlow LT. Cleft palate repair by double opposing z-plasty. Oper Tech Plast Reconstr Surg. 1995;2:223–230.
56. Chen PK, Wu JT, Chen YR, Noordhoff MS. Correction of secondary velopharyngeal insufficiency in cleft palate patients with the Furlow palatoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1994;94:933–941; discussion 942–943.
57. LaRossa D, Hunenko-Jackson O, Kirschner RE, et al.. The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia modification of the Furlow double opposing z-plasty: Long-term speech and growth results. Clin Plast Surg. 2004;31:243–249.
58. Skolnick ML, McCall GN, Barnes M. The sphincteric mechanism of velopharyngeal closure. Cleft Palate J. 1973;10:286–305.
59. Henningsson G, Kuehn DP, Sell D, et al.. Universal parameters for reporting speech outcomes in individuals with cleft palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2008;45:1–17.
60. Golding-Kushner KJ, Argamaso RV, Cotton RT, et al.. Standardization for the reporting of nasopharyngoscopy and multiview videofluoroscopy: A report from an International Working Group. Cleft Palate J. 1973;27:337–347; discussion 347–348.
61. McKay-Kummer SNAP Test. Lincoln Park, NJ: Kay Elemetrics Corp; 1994.
62. Sommerlad BC, Henley M, Birch M, Harland K, Moiemen N, Boorman JG. Cleft palate re-repair: A clinical and radiological study of 32 consecutive cases. Br J Plast Surg. 1994;47:406–410.
63. Sommerlad BC, Mehendale FV, Birch MJ, Sell D, Hattee C, Harland K. Palate re-repair re-visited. Cleft Palate J. 2002;39:295–307.
64. Armour A, Fischbach S, Klaiman P, Fisher DM. Does velopharyngeal closure pattern affect the success of pharyngeal flap pharyngoplasty? Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005;115:45–52; discussion 53.
65. Hynes W. Pharyngoplasty by muscle transplantation. Br J Plast Surg. 1950;3:128–135.
66. Moss AL, Pigott RW, Albery EH. Hynes pharyngoplasty revisited. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1987;79:346–355.
67. Potter J. Some nasal tip deformities due to alar cartilage abnormalities. Plast Reconstr Surg. (1946) 1954;13:358–366.