Answer the following five questions by circling the letter of the correct answer.
1. Choose the true statement about procalcitonin (PCT).
a. Procalcitonin is produced during sepsis by thyroid.
b. PCT begins to increase 3 h after endotoxin injection.
c. PCT and calcitonin increase in the same proportions during bacterial infection.
d. PCT and IL6 increase at same time after endotoxin injection.
2. Choose the true statement about procalcitonin for differentiation between bacterial and viral infections.
a. Interferon-alpha induces production of PCT.
b. Sensitivities of PCT and CRP are close for differentiation between bacterial and viral infection but specificity of PCT is higher.
c. PCT values in cerebrospinal fluid allow differentiation between bacterial and viral meningitis.
d. PCT and CRP values are both high during adenoviral infections.
3. Choose the true statement about procalcitonin in surgical infections.
a. In postsurgical infections PCT and CRP concentrations decrease in survivors.
b. In postsurgical infections CRP remains high but PCT decreases in survivors.
c. In toxic pancreatitis PCT values remain high in survivors.
d. After intestinal surgery CRP and IL-6 are high only in infected patients.
4. Choose the true statement about procalcitonin in neonates.
a. In normal newborns PCT increase is observed during the first 2 days of life.
b. Increase of PCT in newborns is observed only in prematures.
c. PCT increases during neonatal herpes infection.
d. PCT is high in neonates colonized with bacteria without invasive infection.
5. Procalcitonin measurement, used as a diagnostic tool, includes all except one.
a. PCT increases during bacterial sepsis in neutropenic patients.
b. PCT increases in Plasmodium falciparum attack.
c. PCT remains low in graft rejection.
d. PCT increases in cardiogenic shock.