We report a 9-year-old girl with cereulide-producing Bacillus cereus food poisoning, who developed fulminant hepatitis, renal and pancreatic insufficiency, shock, and prolonged seizures. She was transferred to our institution for hepatic transplantation before her diagnosis was established. As a result of rapid identification of the microorganism and supportive care, liver transplantation was avoided, and she recovered fully.
From the *Division of Pediatrics, Department of Pediatrics, Children's Hospital of Geneva and †Department of Internal Medicine, Service of Infectious Diseases, Clinical Microbiology Laboratory, University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva; ‡Institute of Veterinary Bacteriology, University of Bern, Bern; and Division of §Pediatric Gastroenterology and Transplantation, Department of Pediatrics; and ∥Neonatal and Intensive Care, Children's Hospital of Geneva, University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland.
Accepted for publication February 27, 2008.
Address for correspondence: Dr. Klara M. Posfay-Barbe, MD, MS, Children's Hospital of Geneva, 6 rue Willy-Donzé, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland. E-mail: Klara.PosfayBarbe@hcuge.ch.