Pediatric procedural sedation (PS) has been performed with increasing frequency by pediatric emergency physicians for recent years. Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education Pediatric Emergency Medicine fellowship core competency requirements do not specify the manner in which fellows should become proficient in pediatric PS. We surveyed the variety of training experience provided during fellowship and whether those surveyed felt that their training was sufficient.
A 35-question survey offered to pediatric emergency fellows and recent (within 10 years) graduates collected data on pediatric PS training during fellowship. A follow-up questionnaire was sent to fellowship directors at programs where fellow or graduate respondents stated that a sedation curriculum that existed asked details of their program.
There were 95 respondents to the survey, 62% of which had completed pediatric emergency medicine fellowship training. Of respondents, 65% reported having a formal sedation curriculum during fellowship. Of those who participated in a formal curriculum, 82% of respondents felt comfortable performing sedation, whereas the remaining 18% required additional preceptorship and/or more formal training to feel proficient. Fifty-six percent of respondents reported having to complete a set number of sedations before being allowed to sedate independently. Of 17 programs contacted, 9 fellowship directors responded. All 9 included didactics, 6 (66.6%) of 9 included evidence-based medicine literature review, and 6 (66.6%) of 9 included simulation. Other modalities used included supervised clinical experience in a pediatric sedation unit, a 2-week rotation with a hospital sedation team, online sedation modules, and precepted sedations using each pharmacologic agent including nitrous oxide, ketamine, propofol, and ketamine-propofol combination. Ketamine was the most frequently used agent for sedation (87%).
Pediatric emergency medicine fellowship requirements lack a clearly defined pathway for training in PS. Data collected from both current and former fellows depict inconsistency in training experience and suboptimal comfort level in performing these procedures. We suggest that fellows receive a more comprehensive and varied experience with multiple teaching modalities to improve proficiency with this critical and complex aspect of emergency pediatric care.