It has been suggested that ingestion of even small amounts of minoxidil by young children may result in serious adverse effects. The intent of this study was to describe pediatric minoxidil exposures reported to a statewide poison center system.
Cases were minoxidil exposures among patients 5 years or younger reported to Texas poison centers during 2000 to 2014. The distribution by various demographic and clinical factors was determined.
Of 125 total cases, 58% were male and 78% aged 1 to 2 years. Ingestion alone was reported in 92% of the exposures. Ninety-eight percent of the exposures were unintentional, and 94% occurred at the patient's own residence. Sixty-two percent of the patients were managed on site. The outcome was not serious (no effect, minor effect, not followed [nontoxic], not followed [minimal effects]) in 88% of the exposures. The most common adverse effect was vomiting, reported in 8% of the exposures. The most common treatments were dilution/irrigation/wash (53%), activated charcoal (18%), food/snack (17%), and intravenous fluids (8%).
Few pediatric minoxidil exposures were reported to Texas poison centers. Of these exposures, most involved ingestion, were unintentional, and involved patients who were male and aged 1 to 2 years. Although it has been suggested that pediatric minoxidil ingestions might result in serious adverse effects, this study suggests that most pediatric minoxidil exposures reported to poison centers are not likely to have serious outcomes and may be managed at home.
From the Environmental Epidemiology and Disease Registries Section, Department of State Health Services, Austin, TX.
Disclosure: The author declares no conflict of interest.
Reprints: Mathias B. Forrester, BS, Environmental Epidemiology and Disease Registries Section, Department of State Health Services, 1100 W 49th St, Austin, TX 78756 (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).