Objective: Injury and poisoning from metallic mercury has become a rare event. Review of the literature and a case report of pediatric metallic mercury injury are presented.
Design: A case report
Setting: The Emergency Department at St. Louis Children's Hospital.
Patients or participants: A 15-year-oldboy
Main outcome measures: None
Results: The 15-year-old boy fell on a broken mercury thermometer. A subcutaneous abscess formed on his left forearm during the next five days. He had no signs or symptoms of mercury toxicity. His wound was debrided in the operating room and healed completely after several months.
Conclusions: This case shows elemental mercury from a thermometer as a potential, if unusual, source of mercury toxicity
© Lippincott-Raven Publishers.