An updated edition—the third—of Childhood Cancer Survivors: A Practical Guide for Your Future by Nancy Keene, Wendy Hobbie, and Kathy Ruccione has now been published.
The new edition of the book, first published in 2000 and chosen a Best Consumer Health Book by Library Journal and then revised in 2007, includes updated information about:
- Medical late effects from treatment.
- Emotional aspects of surviving cancer.
- Schedules for follow-up care.
- Challenges in the health care system.
- Lifestyle choices to maximize health.
- Discrimination in employment or insurance.
Also included are personal stories from more than 100 survivors and parents and a Foreword by Giulio D'Angelo, MD, congratulating the authors for writing a “uniquely comprehensive review of the late effects problem while providing a manual of how to look after the long-term survivor.”
The 480-page large-size paperback book (ISBN-10 #145711867X) also includes a pullout “Taking Care of Yourself for Life” Cancer Survivor's Treatment Record.