Thank you for your recent article on the importance of animals in research, for which I was interviewed. (“Of Mice and Humans,” January/February 2010.) Here are suggestions for additional materials that your readers might be interested in reading on the topic:
- An Odyssey with Animals: A Veterinarian's Reflections on the Animal Rights & Welfare Debate, Adrian R. Morrison (Oxford University Press, 2009).
- Moving Beyond Animal Rights: A Legal/Contractualist Critique, Richard Cupp (San Diego Law Review, Winter 2009).
- The Animal Research War, P. Michael Conn and James V. Parker (Palgrave & MacMillan, 2008).
- What Animals Want: Expertise and Advocacy in Laboratory Animal Welfare Policy, Larry Carbone (Oxford University Press, 2004).
- The Scalpel and the Butterfly: The War Between Animal Research and Animal Protection, Deborah Rudacille (Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2000).
Jasper Daube, M.D.
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN