Secondary Logo

Journal Logo

Institutional members access full text with Ovid®

Hormone therapy for ovarian cancer survivors: systematic review and meta-analysis

Pergialiotis, Vasilios MD, MSc, PhD; Pitsouni, Elina MD, MSc; Prodromidou, Anastasia MD; Frountzas, Maximos MD; Perrea, Despina N. PhD; Vlachos, Georgios D. MD, PhD

doi: 10.1097/GME.0000000000000508
Review Articles
Buy

Objective: Hormone therapy (HT) alleviates menopausal symptoms, but there is a lack of consensus regarding its use among premenopausal ovarian cancer survivors.

Methods: We systematically reviewed the literature and searched the Medline (1966-2014), Scopus (2004-2014), Popline (1974-2014), ClinicalTrials.gov (2008-2014), and Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials CENTRAL (1999-2014) databases and the reference lists of electronically retrieved studies. Statistical meta-analysis was performed using RevMan 5.1 software.

Results: Six studies were included in our systematic review, which involved 1,521 women. Among them, 451 women (29.6%) received HT, whereas the remaining 1,070 women (70.4%) did not receive any treatment. We noticed a statistically significant reduction of ovarian cancer–related deaths among women who received HT (odds ratio, 0.47; 95% CI, 0.28-0.80); however, disease recurrence rates did not differ between the two groups (odds ratio, 0.71; 95% CI, 0.45-1.14). Studies included in the present systematic review did not report a significant difference in overall survival and disease-free survival rates among women receiving HT and controls.

Conclusions: Based on the results of meta-analysis, HT does not influence the odds of ovarian cancer recurrence; however, this conclusion must be confirmed separately because of significant limitations in the methodological quality of the studies included.

1Laboratory of Experimental Surgery and Surgical Research N.S. Christeas, Athens University Medical School, Athens, Greece

2Division of Gynecologic Oncology, First Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Athens University Medical School, Alexandra Hospital, Athens, Greece.

Address correspondence to: Vasilios Pergialiotis, MD, MSc, PhD, 6, Danaidon Street, Halandri 15232, Greece. E-mail: pergialiotis@yahoo.com

Received 4 November, 2014

Revised 12 May, 2015

Accepted 12 May, 2015

Funding/support: None.

Financial disclosure/conflicts of interest: None reported.

© 2016 by The North American Menopause Society.