TO EARN TWO PCE CREDITS:
- Read the article on pages 8–14.
- Complete the examination.
- Submit your completed examination to the AAOP per the directions on the next page.
The following questions require short answers only; you do not have to use complete sentences. All questions refer to the article: “Orthotic Treatment of Degenerative Disk Disease with Degenerative Spondylolisthesis: A Case Study” by Kevin Meade, PhD, Patrick Flanagan, CO, and Jose Miguel Gomez, MD, CO.
Please allow 2–4 weeks for processing.
- True or False? Degenerative spondylolisthesis (DS) is a mechanical micro instability created by degenerative changes in a vertebral segment that results in the slippage of one vertebral body over the one caudal to it.
- [Select the correct response.] ________________________ frequently create(s) symptoms of degenerative spondylolisthesis.
- Crushed vertebrae in the spine
- Osteoarthritic changes in the spine
- Scoliosis in the spine
- [Select the correct response.] For most cases of degenerative spondylolisthesis, is often the recommended avenue of treatment.
- Aggressive therapy
- Invasive surgery
- Conservative therapy
- True or False ________________________ The goal of surgery for Degenerative Spondylolisthesis is the temporary assuagement of the mechanical pressure on the lumbar spinal nerves and a restructuring of the spinal segment with the Spondylolisthesis.
- True or False ________________________ Clinically, the patient was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in the lumbar spine and degenerative spondylolisthesis of L5 on S1, and there was no initial evidence of Spondylolysis.
- [Select the correct response.] Concerning the posterior aspect of the mold, what was done to maximize the posterior tilt of the patient's sacrum?
- the patient's legs were positioned over the edge of the table
- the patient was placed in a supine position
- the patient was fitted in a plaster cast while standing in a vertical position
- [Select the correct response.] The patient was seen again for follow-up months after the initial visit.
- True or False? ________________________ The patient reported immediate pain relief when originally donning the new orthosis.
- True or False? ________________________ According to much literature that has been published, it is claimed that orthoses have abundant scientific evidence for efficacy and probably have a specific place in the treatment of lumbar spinal disorders.
- [Select the correct response.] The authors of the article feel ultimately that the most important role of the orthosis is to:
- entirely alleviate pain
- temporarily cover up the pain
- reduce pain
Complete the JPO Self-Assessment Examination on the previous page and score a minimum of 75 percent to earn two PCE credits. Send the completed examination and payment in U.S. currency ($20/AAOP members, $50 nonmembers) to: AAOP, Dept. 937, Alexandria, VA 22334-0937. The examination must be received by the AAOP within 3 years of the publication date for credit to be awarded.
Name ________________________ E-mail: ________________________
Credentials ________________________ Certification # ________________________
City/State/Zip ________________________ Phone ________________________