TO EARN TWO MCE CREDITS
- Read the article on pages 1–12.
- Complete the examination.
- Submit your completed examination to the Academy per the directions on the next page.
The following questions require short answers only; you do not have to use complete sentences. All questions refer to the article, “Patient Training for Functional Use of Pattern Recognition-Controlled Prostheses” by Ann M. Simon, PhD; Blair A. Lock, MS; Kathy A. Stubblefield, OTR/L.
Please allow two to four weeks for processing.
Quiz-Regression Estimates of Pressure on Transtibial Residual Limbs Using Load Cell Measurements of the Forces and Moments Occurring at the Base of the Socket, Edward S. Neumann, PhD, CP, PE, FAAOP, Justin Brink, MSE, EI, Kartheek Yalamanchili, MSE, EL, Joon S. Lee, PhD.
- (True or False) ___________________ The goal of the research was to determine whether linear multiple regression models that estimate pressures on the residual limb can be developed using data from a load cell attached to the side wall of a socket.
- (True or False) ______________ Ankle-foot orthoses (AFOs) are rarely prescribed to improve gait after stroke because they have not been proven to be effective.
- [Select the correct response.] AFOs may be used to do all of the following except:
- [Select the correct response.] _____________ offers a means for examining and possibly simplifying potentially complex cause-and-effect relationships involving multiple variables.
- Non-linear multiple regression analysis
- Linear experimental variable analysis
- Linear multiple regression analysis
- (True or False) _____________ Tests of significance by themselves do not indicate how cause and effect co-vary, but regression analysis does reveal the strength of the contribution of each independent variable to the dependent variable.
- [Select the correct response.] _____________ of the models was examined using load cell and pressure data produced by making small alignment perturbations to the prostheses used by the subjects.
- [Select the correct response.] Which of the following was not included as part of the inclusion criteria?
- residual limb infections
- functioning at a K3 or K4 level
- walking without a loss of balance or an unsteady gait
- good socket fit
- [Select the correct response.] Only forces and moments in the ____________ plane were used in analysis because the socket regions for which pressure measurements were taken were in the ____________ plane.
- (True or False) ______________ Stepwise regression creates linear models in a series of steps using algorithms that make decisions on which variables to include and exclude.
- (True or False) ___________ It was surmised that Fxpos and Mypos appeared in only two models each, suggesting that they played a less pervasive role in pressure generation.
- (True or False) _____________ The primary requirements are that the pressure measurements at the wall of the socket must be inversely proportional to the force and moment measures at the base of the socket, and the pressure effects of the force and moment must be considered separately.
- [Select the correct response.] A ________________ relationship also can be expected between pressure and moment.
- (True or False) _____________ One figure suggested that for self-selected comfortable speed level walking, pressure complaints or pressure-related tissue problems in the gastrocnemius, distal tibia, and popliteal regions are more likely to be due to the moment component than the force component.
- [Select the correct response.] The Mypos, which normally would be associated with the ________________, does not appear to play a major role in generating high pressure at any socket region in the models during weight acceptance.
- early stance phase
- propulsion phase of stance
- heel loading moment
Complete the JPO Self-Assessment Examination on the previous page and score a minimum of 80 percent to earn two MCE credits. Send the completed examination and payment in U.S. currency ($20 for Academy members, $50 nonmembers) to: The American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetists, 1331 H Street NW, Suite 501, Washington, DC 20005. The examination must be received by the Academy within three years of the publication date for credit to be awarded.
Name:__________________________________________________ E-mail: _______________________________________
Credentials:______________________________________________ Certification #__________________________________
City/State/Zip:____________________________________________ Phone ________________________________________