VOLUME 24 • NUMBER 3 • 2012
TO EARN TWO MCE CREDITS:
- Read the article on pages 111–121.
- Complete the examination.
- Submit your completed examination to the Academy per the directions on the next page.
The following questions require short answers only; you do not have to use complete sentences. All questions refer to the article,“Ankle-Foot Orthosis Selection to Facilitate Gait Recovery in Adults After Stroke: A Case Series” by Karen J. McCain, PT, DPT, NCS, Patricia S. Smith, PT, PhD, NCS, Ross Querry, PT, PhD.
Please allow two to four weeks for processing.
Quiz–Ankle-Foot Orthosis Selection to Facilitate Gait Recovery in Adults After Stroke: A Case Series, Karen J. McCain, PT, DPT, NCS, Patricia S. Smith, PT, PhD, NCS, Ross Querry, PT, PhD
- [Select the correct response.] According to the article, ___________________ contributes to the asymmetry by interfering with foot clearance, knee control, and propulsion.
- atrophy of the mid-calf muscle
- weakness of the lower leg muscles
- underdeveloped quadriceps and hamstrings
- (True or False) ______________ Ankle-foot orthoses (AFOs) are rarely prescribed to improve gait after stroke because they have not been proven to be effective.
- [Select the correct response.] AFOs may be used to do all of the following except:
- decrease energy expenditure
- improve foot position
- decrease walking speed
- improve mediolateral ankle stability
- [Select the correct response.] The custom-fabricated thermoplastic configuration used consisted of a _________ in each of the posterior channels and a _________ in each of the anterior compartments.
- stiff spring…pin
- joint fastener…plug
- flexible foam cushion…strap
- (True or False) _____________ The AFOs were all initially set to allow 8–10 degrees of dorsiflexion and no more than 3–5 degrees of plantarflexion.
- [Select the correct response.] Concerning gait endurance and velocity, the 6-Minute Walk Test (6MWT) was used, and distance was recorded with a _____________.
- stop watch
- measuring wheel
- tape measure
- (True or False) ______________ Symmetry was calculated as the ratio of paretic to non-paretic limb for step length, swing time and stance time as well.
- (True or False) __________________ Numerous studies have attempted to consider the long-term implications of orthosis use after stroke.
- (True or False) _____________ Evidence suggests that prolonged activity of the quadriceps and hamstrings during stance on the paretic and non-paretic limb is common with and without AFOs.
- [Select the correct response.] The ability of the AFO to provide the opportunity for ____________ becomes key.
- calf strengthening
- ankle strengthening
- hamstring and quadriceps development
- [Select the correct response.] According to the article, recovery of calf strength is typically limited to about _____________ after stroke.
- (True or False) ___________ Most persons regain the ability to walk within the first six to eight (6–8) weeks after stroke.
Complete the JPO Self-Assessment Examination on the previous page and score a minimum of 75 percent to earn two MCE credits. Send the completed examination and payment in U.S. currency ($20 for Academy members, $50 nonmembers) to: The American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetists, 1331 H Street NW, Suite 501, Washington, DC 20005. The examination must be received by the Academy within three years of the publication date for credit to be awarded.
Name:__________________________________________________ E-mail: _______________________________________
Credentials:______________________________________________ Certification #_________________________________
City/State/Zip:____________________________________________ Phone ________________________________________