TO EARN TWO PCE CREDITS:
- Read the article on pages 199–201.
- Complete the examination.
- Submit your completed examination to the AAOP per the directions on the next page.
The following questions require short answers only; you do not have to use complete sentences. All questions refer to the article, “Compensating Weakness of the Quadriceps Muscles Due to Poliomyelitis Using a Custom-Made Orthopedic Shoe” by Reinoud K. B. Fengler, MPA, Herman R. Holtslag, PhD.
Please Allow 2–4 weeks for processing.
Quiz - Compensating Weakness of the Quadriceps Muscles Due to Poliomyelitis Using a Custom-Made Orthopedic Shoe, Reinoud K. B. Fengler, MPA, Herman R. Holtslag, PhD.
1. (True or False) _____________ According to the article, survivors of poliomyelitis often exhibit gait abnormalities due to lower-limb pareses.
2. [Select the correct response.] A typical polio gait pattern is _____________ to describe.
3. [Select the correct response.] According to the article, a Dutch population-based study reported that the need for lower-limb orthoses exists in approximately _____________ of polio survivors.
4. (True or False) _____________ A KAFO is often prescribed to provide knee stability in the coronal plane during stance in case of quadriceps weakness, which is a common finding in polio survivors.
5. (True or False) _____________ After surgery, the patient could not walk because her toes clawed while she walked, which induced muscle fatigue and cramping and also prevented her from wearing normal shoes.
6. (True or False) _____________ The patient's left leg was approximately three centimeters shorter than the right and her left foot was smaller than the right.
7. (True or False) _____________ The ligamentous integrity of the hips, knees and ankles proved to be normal on both sides.
8. [Select the correct response.] Examination of barefoot walking showed that there was no _____________ rocker on the right side.
D. First or third
E. None of the above
9. [Select the correct response.] The patient's usual method of walking consisted of wearing a slipper on the _____________ part of her foot.
10. [Select the correct response.] The calf muscles and long flexors were probably _____________ so as to produce sufficient force.
11. (True or False) _____________ The shoe was built in a slight dorsal flexion position.
12. [Select the correct response.] For future studies, the article recommended to perform a(n) _____________.
A. Ambulation simulation
B. Gait lab analysis
C. Detailed ambulatory observation
Complete the JPO Self-Assessment Examination on the previous page and score a minimum of 75 percent to earn two PCE credits. Send the completed examination and payment in U.S. currency ($20/AAOP members, $50 nonmembers) to: AAOP, 1331 H Street, NW, Suite 501, Washington, DC 20005. The examination must be received by the AAOP within 3 years of the publication date for credit to be awarded.
Name ___________________________________ E-mail: __________________________
Credentials ____________________________ Certification # __________________
City/State/Zip __________________________ Phone ___________________________