TO EARN TWO PCE CREDITS:
- Read the article on pages 127–137.
- Complete the examination.
- Submit your completed examination to the AAOP per the directions on the next page.
The following questions require short answers only; you do not have to use complete sentences. All questions refer to the article, “Assessment of Pressures Within the Prosthetic Socket of a Person With Osteomyoplastic Amputation During Varied Walking Tasks” by Sesh Commuri, Ph.D., et al.
Please Allow 2–4 weeks for processing.
Quiz – Assessment of Pressures Within the Prosthetic Socket of a Person With Osteomyoplastic Amputation During Varied Walking Tasks, Sesh Commuri, Ph.D., et al.
- [Select the correct response.] What was unique about this case is that the subject:
True or False _____ The goal of this particular procedure is to provide an “end-bearing” limb designed specifically for prosthetic wear.
True or False _____ In the traditional approach to amputation, loading at the distal end of the residual limb is typically performed in order to minimize the occurrence of wounds and to prevent the breakdown of the residual limb.
[Select the correct response.] End-bearing is expected to achieve all of the following results except:
- A. is a recipient of an osteomyopic transfemoral amputation, the “Bortel procedure”
- B. is a recipient of an osteomyoplastic transtibial amputation, the “Ertl procedure”
- C. is a recipient of an osteouretic transtibial amputation, the “Cartel procedure”
True or False _____ Prior research included studies that were performed primarily to determine the quality of the prosthetic fit and to determine any anomalies in the gait.
[Select the correct response.] Which of the following was not a proximal sensor within the prosthetic socket:
- A. reduce pain
- B. improve sensation and blood flow
- C. improve gait characteristics and increase length of stride
- D. improve walking ability and prosthetic wear
[Select the correct response.] In the study during normal forward walking, the “Stance” was seen to constitute _____ of the gait cycle.
- A. frontal
- B. lateral
- C. medial
- D. anterior
- E. posterior
[Select the correct response.] The greatest load during each of the tasks was recorded predominately by the:
- A. slightly more than half
- B. slightly less than half
True or False _____ In general, the forces recorded at proximal sensors were essentially the same during all of the testing EXCEPT for when subjects were walking sideways leading with prosthetic limb and descending stairs.
True or False _____ The myoplastic portion of the Ertl procedure is where the muscles are attached to the opposing muscle compartment.
True or False _____ Myoplasty is always performed during a standard amputation procedure.
True or False _____ The sensor readings in the three regions (proximal, middle, distal) indicate that the force experience by the subject depends on the nature of the gait.
- A. distal anterior sensor
- B. middle lateral sensor
- C. middle posterior sensor
- D. middle anterior sensor
Complete the JPO Self-Assessment Examination on the previous page and score a minimum of 75 percent to earn two PCE credits. Send the completed examination and payment in U.S. currency ($20/AAOP members, $50 nonmembers) to: AAOP, 1331 H Street, NW, Suite 501, Washington, DC 20005. The examination must be received by the AAOP within 3 years of the publication date for credit to be awarded.