Volume 21 • Number 1 • 2009
TO EARN TWO PCE CREDITS:
1. Read the article on pages 2–15. 2. Complete the examination. 3. Submit your completed examination to the AAOP per the directions on the next page.
The following questions require short answers only; you do not have to use complete sentences. All questions refer to the article, “The Safety of C-Leg: Biomechanical Tests” by Siegmar Blumentritt, PhD, Thomas Schmalz, PhD, and Rolf Jarasch, CPO.
Please Allow 2–4 weeks for processing.
1. [Select the correct response.] All of the following conditions simulating five common real world situations were used in this study EXCEPT:
A. walking on even ground
B. walking on a fairly steep incline
C. tripping when the knee is extending during swing phase
D. inadvertently stepping onto an object
E. abruptly stopping
F. abruptly sidestepping
2. True or False ______________ Many amputees fitted with the C-Leg system report that this electronic knee joint allows them to move around much more freely than prior mechanical alternatives.
3. [Select the correct response.] Most amputees fitted with the C-Leg system report that it is ______________ necessary to concentrate on the mechanics of walking with the prosthesis.
B. no longer
4. [Select the correct response.] Safe and comfortable weight bearing during two-legged stance depends primarily on___________
A. alignment of the prosthesis
B. proper prosthesis material
C. precise fit of the prosthesis
5. True or False ______________ For the patient's safety, the stance control mechanism must be activated instantly to allow controlled knee flexion (yielding).
6. [Select the correct response.] ___________ between stance and swing phase control mode is critical for good ambulatory function and for amputee safety.
A. loose knee flexion resistance
B. constant switching
C. reliable switching
7. True or False _____________ The only prosthetic knee with an external flexion moment is the C-Leg.
8. True or False _____________ The C-Leg was one of several new models tested which flexed safely under the condition of loading after heel strike.
9. [Select the correct response.] ___________ The has the highest risk to the amputee of knee collapse.
A. Mauch SNS hydraulic system
B. Otto Boch 3R80 rotary hydraulic system
C. C-Leg system
10. [Select the correct response.] ___________ is the primary biomechanical requirement of prosthetic knee components for amputees with knee disarticulation, transfemoral and higher levels of amputation.
A. Proper fit
B. Maximum comfort
C. Safe function under real world conditions.
11. True or False _____________ Prosthetic knees that permit controlled flexion during loading response have been shown to be detrimental to amputees of lower activity level because they tended to malfunction more frequently due to limited activity levels.
12. [Select the correct response.] When walking on uneven ground, on pavement or slopes, the amputee is forced to use more ___________ power and to _____________ concentration to safely control the prosthetic knee.
A. upper body; increase
B. leg; decrease
C. lower body; decrease
D. hip; increase
Complete the JPO Self-Assessment Examination on the previous page and score a minimum of 75 percent to earn two PCE credits. Send the completed examination and payment in U.S. currency ($20/AAOP members, $50 nonmembers) to: AAOP, 1131 H Street, NW, Suite 501, Washington, DC 20005. The examination must be received by the AAOP within 3 years of the publication date for credit to be awarded.
Name _____ E-mail: _____
Credentials _____ Certification # _____
City/State/Zip _____Phone _____