TO EARN TWO PCE CREDITS:
1. Read the article on pages 8–11. 2. Complete the examination. 3. Submit your completed examination to the AAOP per the directions on the next page.
The following questions require short answers only; you do not have to use complete sentences. All questions refer to the article, “Case Report: Pseudoaneurysm Causing Residual Limb Pain in a Transtibial Amputee" by Gary A. Linassi, MB, FRCPC, Rodney S. Li Pi Shan, MD, FRCPC, Sherif S. El Maadawy, MD, Bruce B. Berscheid, MD, FRCPC, and Huw G. Rees, MD, FRCSC.
Please Allow 2–4 weeks for processing.
1. True or False _____Determining the cause of residual limb pain in amputees has become quite simple over time.
2. [Select the correct response.] Residual limb pain differs from phantom limb pain in that it is pain that is felt _____:
A. only in the absent limb
B. only in the residual limb and not in the absent limb
C. in both the residual limb and the absent limb
3. [Select the correct response.] Phantom pain is usually _____in character and originates from _____.
A. psychopathic … nervous tissue
B. telepathic … fibrous tissue
C. neuropathic … nervous tissue
4. [Select the correct response.] It has been found that residual limb pain can be caused by all of the following EXCEPT:
A. inflamed bursae
B. pinched nerve
C. localized soft-tissue inflammation
D. bone pain
5. True or False _____Complex Regional Pain Syndrome represents a rare cause of residual limb pain.
6. [Select the correct response] As a consequence of arterial pressure, pseudoaneurysms tend to _____:
A. enlarge in size
B. decrease in size
C. remain the same size
7. True or False _____Pseudoaneurysms are caught most of the time and are commonly the result of an arterial injury, especially from the carotid artery.
8. [Select the correct response.] Complications from pseudoaneurysms can include all of the following EXCEPT:
B. nerve compression
9. [Select the correct response.] _____is the most common method for diagnosis and is also useful for distinguishing between hematoma and aneurysm.
A. CT scan
10. True or False _____Most pseudoaneurysms are small and undergo spontaneous thrombosis which resolve over time without treatment.
Complete the JPO Self-Assessment Examination on the previous page and score a minimum of 75 percent to earn two PCE credits. Send the completed examination and payment in U.S. currency ($20/AAOP members, $50 nonmembers) to: AAOP, Dept. 937, Alexandria, VA 22334-0937. The examination must be received by the AAOP within 3 years of the publication date for credit to be awarded.
Name _____E-mail: _____
Credentials _____Certification # _____
City/State/Zip _____Phone _____