JPO SELF-ASSESSMENT EXAMINATION
TO EARN TWO PCE CREDITS:
- Read the article on pages 35–40.
- Complete the examination.
- Submit your completed examination to the AAOP per the directions on the next page.
The following questions require short answers only; you do not have to use complete sentences. All questions refer to the article: “Custom Silicone Sockets for Myoelectric Prostheses.”
Please Allow 2–4 weeks for processing.
- [Select the correct response.] Recent use of ________ for the fabrication of prosthetic sockets has expanded the fitting options for upper limb amputees and enhanced the fundamental prosthetic features for management of long transradial through partial hand amputees.
- polyurethane materials
- silicone materials
- rubber materials
- durable plastic materials
- True or False: The following represent two drawbacks of myoelectric fittings using roll-on designs:
- the need for some type of locking mechanism
- the nuisance of having to attach each of the electrodes separately as part of the donning process when snaps are used.
- [Select the correct response.] Because the ______ socket is a structural component of the prosthesis, it ______ require a means of locking it to the prosthesis as does the roll-on-silicone socket design.
- silicone… does
- polyurethane…does not
- silicone…does not
- True or False: These silicone hand prostheses are donned by lubricating the skin and then sliding into the prosthesis while working any air out by pressing the flexible walls to direct the air to the proximal trimline.
- [Select the correct response.] The basic construction method(s) employed for fitting long transradial, wrist disarticulation, and partial hand prostheses is/are:
- an all-silicone construction
- a hybrid construction
- both A and B
- neither A nor B
- True or False: The battery placement is determined by the following factors:
- the weight of the limb
- the need for active wrist rotation
- the perceived benefit of an “external” battery versus a removable battery.
- True or False: With the edges around the electrode sealed, previous problems of donning gels and sweat flowing behind the socket and causing corrosion and electrical failures have been resolved.
- True or False: Full range of motion for the wrist, as well as smaller and lighter components, are important considerations for prosthetic socket selection.
- [Select the correct response.] The ________ and _____________ qualities of silicone allow the socket to maintain suction and thereby provide secure suspension without crossing the wrist.
- True or False: It is the authors’ opinion that comfort and cosmetic appearance can be improved over previous construction techniques by providing soft, flexible sockets with suction suspension.
Complete the JPO Self-Assessment Examination on the previous page and score a minimum of 75 percent to earn two PCE credits. Send the completed examination and payment in U.S. currency ($20/AAOP members, $50 nonmembers) to: AAOP, Dept. 937, Alexandria, VA 22334-0937. The examination must be received by the AAOP within 3 years of the publication date for credit to be awarded.
Name_____________________ E-mail: __________________
Credentials________________ Certification # _______________
City/State/Zip ___________ Phone __________© 2006 American Academy of Orthotists & Prosthetists