JPO SELF-ASSESSMENT EXAMINATION
TO EARN TWO PCE CREDITS:
- Read the article on pages 47–49.
- Complete the examination.
- Submit your completed examination to the AAOP per the directions on the next page.
The following questions require short answers only; you do not have to use complete sentences. All questions refer to the article: “Ambulation on Postoperative Day 1 after Bilateral Transtibial Amputations: A Case Report and Literature Review” by Lee D. Faucher, MD, and Donald G. Shurr, CPO, PT.
Please allow 2–4 weeks for processing.
- True or False?Patients with chronic vascular and diabetic complications account for 80% of the lower extremity amputations performed in the United States.
- [Select the response which DOES NOT apply.] The loss of a limb is a potentially devastating event that can lead to severe ___________limitations:
- [Select the correct response.] The incidence of trauma related to bilateral lower extremity amputations is________per million persons in the United States.
- [Select the response which DOES NOT apply.] The advantages of placing the patient in rigid dressings and pylons in the operating room and beginning ambulation immediately are: _____
- decreased length of hospital stay
- earlier placement in definitive prosthesis
- decreased postoperative trauma
- earlier return to work
- True or False?Much care was taken by the physical therapist to reduce as much as possible the shear forces on the anterior of the patient’s residual limbs during the process of rising and sitting, because both knees were casted in the extended position and were unable to flex.
- True or False?Distance of walking was limited to 100 – 200 feet in the first few days to allow the patient a tolerance to walking and standing.
- [Select the correct response.]_________controlled studies exist that demonstrate statistical significance in clinical outcome by type of postoperative dressing.
- True or False?It was reported that significantly shorter rehabilitation time was required when soft dressings rather than rigid dressings were used.
- True or False?It was reported that by using prefabricated pneumatic prostheses, fewer postoperative complications occurred and fewer limb revisions were necessary.
- True or False?It was concluded that there was no correlation between upper body strength and a patient’s facility for postoperative ambulation.
Complete the JPO Self-Assessment Examination on the previous page and score a minimum of 75 percent to earn two PCE credits. Send the completed examination and payment in U.S. currency ($20/AAOP members, $50 nonmembers) to: AAOP, Dept. 937, Alexandria, VA 22334-0937. The examination must be received by the AAOP within 3 years of the publication date for credit to be awarded.
Credentials________________ Certification # _______________
City/State/Zip ___________ Phone __________© 2005 American Academy of Orthotists & Prosthetists