TO EARN TWO PCE CREDITS:
- Read the article on pages 27–32.
- Complete the examination.
- Submit your completed examination to the AAOP per the directions on the next page.
The following questions require short answers only; you do not have to use complete sentences. All questions refer the article: “Material Properties of Selected Prosthetic Laminates,” by Sam L. Phillips, CP, and William Craelius, PhD.
Please allow 2–4 weeks for processing.
- Which of the following is NOT a performance criterion for Prosthetic sockets and orthotic devices:
- minimal fabrication cost
- minimal weight
- strength sufficient to withstand maximum expected stresses
- all of the above are performance criteria.
- [Fill in the blanks with the correct terms.] FRP stands for ____,____,____ which is a type of composite.
- [Select the correct term.] STRESS / STRAIN The amount of force applied over a given area is called ____ and the amount of deformation for a given length is called ____.
- [Fill in the blank with the correct term.] Young's Modulus, which is the amount of force to obtain a certain amount of deformation, is synonymous with ____.
- True or False? Ultimate Tensile Strength (UTS) is the maximum force applied before a fiber breaks.
- [Select the correct response.] The maximum force applied before permanent deformation occurs is called:
- Bending Stiffness
- Yield Strength
- Stress and Strain
- True or False? Brittle materials break with high deformation while ductile materials break after small deformation.
- Rate the following fiber types according to strength:
[Select the correct term]. Both carbon and fiberglass proved to be very strong, but they do have limitations as prosthetic socket materials due to their ____. They break rather than stretch during post fabrication modifications.
True or False? Testing resulted in no significant differences among different resins for thickness and weight.
[Fill in the blank with the correct term: STRUCTURAL / FILLER
The ____ materials are nylon, cotton, perlon, Spectralon, and nyglass, while the ____ materials are fiberglass and carbon.
True or False? Results from the bending tests demonstrated a clear trend of increasing stiffness as the distance between carbon fibers increased.
[Select the correct answer.] The ____ seemed to be easier to use because of fewer problems with air bubbles and better saturation.
[Circle the correct answer.] Bending tests show strength INCREASED / DECREASED as the carbon fibers (are) separated.
- Nylon, Cotton, Spectralon, etc.
Complete the JPO Self-Assessment Examination on the previous page and score a minimum of 75 percent to earn two PCE credits. Send the completed examination and payment in U.S. currency ($20/AAOP members, $40/nonmembers) to: AAOP, Dept. 937, Alexandria, VA 22334-0937. The examination must be received by the AAOP within 3 years of the publication date for credit to be awarded.
Name ____ Credentials ____ Certification # ____ Company ____ Address ____ City/State/Zip ____ Phone ____