TO EARN TWO PCE CREDITS:
- Read the article on page 55–page 63.
- Complete the examination.
- Submit your completed examination to the AAOP per the directions on the next page.
The following questions require short answers only; you do not have to use complete sentences. All questions refer to the article “The Effects of Plastazote and Aliplast/Plastazote Orthoses on Plantar Pressures in Elderly Persons With Diabetic Neuropathy” by Olfat Mo-hamed, PhD, PT, Kay Cerny, PhD, PT, Loren Rojek, CPO, Krista Herbert, BS, Rebecca Turner, BS, and Sean Waistell, BS.
Please allow 2–4 weeks for processing.
1. True or False?
Repetitive application of pressures during walking is the most common cause of foot ulcers in individuals with diabetic sensory neuropathy.
2. The standard approach for treating patients with diabetic sensory neuropathy is
a. to prescribe extra-depth diabetic shoes.
b. to prescribe customized foot orthoses.
c. both a and b.
3. Aliplast is a cross-linked, closed cell, polyethylene foam that reduces
a. 50% on sustained or repetitive loading.
b. 35% on sustained or repetitive loading.
c. 40% on sustained or repetitive loading.
4. Peripheral neuropathy was determined by the subjects’ ability to ______________________________________________________________
5. The Pedar in-shoe pressure measurement system uses a
a. 2.5-mm thick array of 99 capacitive pressure sensors.
b. 3-mm thick array of 99 capacitive pressure sensors.
c. 2.0-mm thick array of 99 capacitive pressure sensors.
6. When walking shod with custom-made orthoses, contact area on the plantar surface of the entire foot increased
a. 19.6 cm on average.
b. 21.2 cm on average.
c. 23.1 cm on average.
7. True or False?
More significant differences were seen for the left foot than the right in this study.
8. Decreases in peak pressure, maximum mean pressure and pressure time integral were due to
a. decreases in contact area with no change in peak pressure.
b. increases in both the contact area and peak pressure.
c. increases in contact area with no change in peak pressure.
9. True or False?
Custom-made orthoses relieved pressure under ulcer-susceptible areas of the foot by shifting load, but not pressures, to the medial midfoot.
10. Orthoses adjusted for one month of wear continue to be effective in relieving plantar pressures for an additional _____________ in persons with diabetic neuropathy.
Complete the JPO Self-Assessment Examination on the previous page and score a minimum of 75 percent to earn two PCE credits. Send the completed examination and payment in U.S. currency ($20/AAOP members, $40/nonmembers) to: AAOP, Dept. 937, Alexandria, VA 22334-0937. The examination must be received by the AAOP within 3 years of the publication date for credit to be awarded.
Credentials _________________________________ Certification # _________________________________
City/State/Zip _________________________________ Phone _________________________________