Secondary Logo

Institutional members access full text with Ovid®

Button Battery Powered Fidget Spinners: A Potentially Deadly New Ingestion Hazard for Children

Khalaf, Racha, T.*; Gurevich, Yoseph; Marwan, Ahmed, I.; Miller, Angie, L.§; Kramer, Robert, E.*; Sahn, Benjamin

Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition: April 2018 - Volume 66 - Issue 4 - p 595–597
doi: 10.1097/MPG.0000000000001892
Short Communication: Gastroenterology

ABSTRACT Toys entering the marketplace may have unrecognized hazard risks until data on injury become known. The fidget spinner is a new popular toy mass marketed to children and is primarily sold without warning labels. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission has recently issued a formal statement on potential safety concerns related to ingestion of the toy parts and other hazards. Button batteries within this toy pose the greatest danger to children as ingestion can lead to lethal injury. We report 2 cases of children who swallowed a button battery from a fidget spinner, causing severe esophageal injury. Various aspects of this type of ingestion important for clinicians to be aware of are reviewed.

*Department of Pediatrics, Digestive Health Institute, Children's Hospital Colorado, University of Colorado, Aurora, CO

Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition, Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York, Northwell Health System, New Hyde Park, NY

Department of Pediatric Surgery

§Department of Radiology, Children's Hospital Colorado, University of Colorado, Aurora, CO.

Address correspondence and reprint requests to Yoseph Gurevich, MD, 1991 Marcus Avenue Suite M100 New Hyde Park, NY 11042 (e-mail:

Received 8 November, 2017

Accepted 29 November, 2017

Drs Khalaf and Gurevich are co-first authors.

The authors report no conflicts of interest.

© 2018 by European Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition and North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology,