To describe falls causing injury
, types of injuries, and the reporting
of these falls.
Administrative and incident reporting
datasets between July 2012 and June 2017 were analyzed.
Using both datasets, 5,653 falls were identified (3.7 per 1,000 bed-days). Administrative and incident datasets accounted for 40.8% (2,299) and 84.4% (4,752) of falls, respectively. More than half the falls in the administrative data required only observation/examination (1,221 falls; 53.1%, 0.8 per 1,000 bed-days). The remaining 1,078 falls (46.9%; 0.7 per 1,000 bed-days) caused 1,533 injuries (1.0 per 1,000 bed-days). Most injuries happened in patients who were 65 years or older (73.9%), during the first episode of care (79.0%), in the acute care setting (70.4%), or on the same level (60.1%). The most common injuries were to the head (33.3%). Some injuries were serious (169; 11.0%; 0.11 per 1,000 bed-days). Falls resulting in injury
in older patients, with a more severe medical condition and at smaller hospitals, were more likely to be recorded in the incident reporting system
whereas subsequent falls were less likely to be recorded.
Fewer than half of the falls recorded in administrative data resulted in injuries. A tenth of all falls caused serious injuries.