Secondary Logo

Journal Logo

Institutional members access full text with Ovid®

Mandibular Ameloblastoma: Analysis of Surgical Treatment Carried Out in 60 Patients Between 1977 and 1998

Becelli, R. MDS, PhD; Carboni, A. MD; Cerulli, G. MD; Perugini, Maurizio MD; Iannetti, G. MDS, PhD

Journal of Craniofacial Surgery: May 2002 - Volume 13 - Issue 3 - p 395-400
Clinical Notes
Buy

Ameloblastoma, a benign tumor of odontogenic type, represents 10% of all tumors of the jawbone. It is localized in the mandible in 80% of cases and in the upper jaw in the remaining 20%. In every case, the selection of the surgical treatment to be applied must consider some fundamental elements, including the age and general state of health of the patient, the clinicopathological variant, and the localization and extent of the tumor. In addition, it is necessary to evaluate whether the neoplasm to be treated is a primitive lesion or a recurrence. Although ameloblastoma has relative histological characteristics of benignity, this neoplasm has a high percentage of local recurrence and possible malignant development when treated inadequately. The aim of this study was to carry out a follow-up of 60 patients treated for ameloblastoma of the mandible between 1977 and 1998, analyzing the problems faced in removing this benign neoplasm and those concerning reconstruction of the surgical defect.

Rome, Italy

From the Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Rome "La Sapienza," Rome, Italy.

Address correspondence to Dr Perugini, Via Pieve di Cadore 30, 41-00135, Rome, Italy. E-mail: mauperu@libero.it

© 2002 Mutaz B. Habal, MD