Original Article: PDF OnlyAcute Appendicitis in Patients with Acquired Immunodeficiency SyndromeLiu, Kuo-Yinga; Shyu, Jia-Fwub; Uen, Yih-Hueic; Chen, Tien-Huaa, b, *; Shyr, Yi-Minga; Su, Cheng-Hsia; Wu, Chew-Wuna; Lui, Wing-Yuia Author Information aDepartment of Surgery, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Tainan, Taiwan, R.O.C. bDepartment of Anatomy, National Yang-Ming University School of Medicine, Tainan, Taiwan, R.O.C. cDivision of Surgery, Chi Mei Medical Center, Tainan, Taiwan, R.O.C. *Correspondence to: Dr. Tien-Hua Chen, Department of Surgery, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, 201, Section 2, Shih-Pai Road, Taipei 112, Taiwan, R.O.C. E-mail: [email protected] Received: June 18, 2004 • Accepted: January 21, 2005 Journal of the Chinese Medical Association 68(5):p 226-229, May 2005. | DOI: 10.1016/S1726-4901(09)70212-6 Metrics Abstract Background: We report our experience with patients who had acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) and who presented with signs and symptoms suggesting acute appendicitis. Methods: Observational data are documented for 9 patients with AIDS who underwent surgery for acute appendicitis. Results: Of the 9 patients, 6 (66.7%) had acute appendicitis without perforation, while the other 3 (33.3%) had perforated appendicitis. An elevated preoperative temperature was found in 4 patients without perforation (66.7%), and in 1 patient with perforation (33.3%). An elevated white blood cell count was found in all 6 patients without perforation (100%), but in none with perforation (0%). The mean interval from surgical referral to laparotomy was 61.1 hours, the mean hospital stay was 9.3 days, and the perioperative mortality rate was 22.2%. Conclusion: Our experience should alert emergency medical staff who care for AIDS patients to the need for early diagnosis and prompt surgical treatment of appendicitis. © 2005 by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc.