1. Camptocormia is a special form of hysteria seen most often in certain neurotic military trainees, manifested by extreme forward flexion of the spine and characterized by pain in the lumbar area.
2. It is a disease that affects primarily young adult males in military training.
3. The disease is a conversion hysteria in the form of a psychogenic backache.
4. Physical examination of patients with camptocormia is normal except for the forward flexed, anthropoid posture.
5. Knowledge of the entity allows easy diagnosis and permits rapid treatment and disposition.
From Wilford Hall United States Air Force Hospital, Aerospace Medical Division, Lackland Air Force Base