Animal injection–related needlestick injuries are a common occupational hazard for livestock workers and veterinarians. Although often unreported, these injuries can cause significant damage and may require extensive medical and surgical management. This case describes a 69-year-old farmer who accidentally injected his forearm while vaccinating cattle, resulting in a flexor compartment infection. Conservative management with oral and intravenous antibiotics was unsuccessful, and he required multiple surgical debridements for definitive treatment
Animal injection–related needlestick injuries can present unique challenges to orthopaedic surgeons. Important considerations include the injury location, needle type, vaccine volume and components, injection pressure, and environmental contaminants.