A 43-year-old man suffered household electric shock from 220 V alternating current when he accidently touched a live wire with his left hand. Subsequently, he was diagnosed to have osteonecrosis of the left femoral head and underwent total hip arthroplasty.
We suggest that the electric current could have thrombosed the terminal subsynovial vessels of the femoral head, leading to osteonecrosis. To the best of authors' knowledge, only 2 cases of osteonecrosis of the hip after electric shock have been reported in the literature. A literature review of the delayed consequences of electric shock injuries pertaining to orthopaedics is also presented.