Our study has several limitations. First, the survey captured only an online convenience sample of MSM population in China. Online MSM in China tend to be younger, more educated, and may have fewer sexual partners compared with nononline MSM in China.31 However, MSM in China are known to have high Internet access and to seek sexual partners online.24 Second, our research centered on MSM and did not collect data from other key populations such as FSW and transgender individuals. Third, this study did not assess the accuracy of self-test kits or linkage to care. At the same time, a global systematic review19 and 1 study of MSM in China32 suggest that community-based HIV testing, in general, improved linkage to care when compared with facility-based HIV testing.
1. WHO. Global HIV
/AIDS Response—Epidemic Update and Health Sector Progress towards Universal Access—Progress Report 2011. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO; 2011.
2. Song Y, Li X, Zhang L, et al.. HIV
-testing behavior among young migrant men who have sex with men (MSM
) in Beijing, China
. AIDS Care. 2011;23:179–186.
3. Krause J, Subklew-Sehume F, Kenyon C, et al.. Acceptability of HIV self-testing
: a systematic literature review. BMC Public Health. 2013;13:735.
4. Tucker JD, Bien CH, Peeling RW. Point-of-care testing for sexually transmitted infections: recent advances and implications for disease control. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2013;26:73–79.
5. Myers JE, El-Sadr WM, Zerbe A, et al.. Rapid HIV self-testing
: long in coming but opportunities beckon. AIDS. 2013;27:1687–1695.
6. Pant Pai N, Sharma J, Shivkumar S, et al.. Supervised and unsupervised self-testing
in high- and low-risk populations: a systematic review. Plos Med. 2013;10:e1001414.
7. Napierala Mavedzenge S, Baggaley R, Corbett EL. A review of self-testing
: research and policy priorities in a New Era of HIV
prevention. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;57:126–138.
8. Shao Y, Williamson C. The HIV
-1 epidemic: low- to middle-income countries. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 2012;2:a007187.
9. Tucker JD, Wong FY, Nehl EJ, et al.. HIV
testing and care systems focused on sexually transmitted HIV
. Sex Transm Infect. 2013;88:116–119.
10. Wei C, Yan H, Yang C, et al.. Accessing HIV
testing and treatment among men who have sex with men in China
: A qualitative study. AIDS Care. 2014;26:372–378.
11. WHO. HIV self-testing
among health workers: a review of the literature and discussion of issues and options for increasing access to HIV
testing in sub-Saharan Africa. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO; 2011.
12. UNAIDS. Global Report: UNAIDS Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic 2013. Geneva, Switzerland: UNAIDS; 2013.
13. Chow EP, Wilson DP, Zhang J, et al.. Human immunodeficiency virus prevalence is increasing among men who have sex with men in China
: findings from a review and meta-analysis. Sex Transm Dis. 2011;38:845–857.
14. Mimiaga MJ, Goldhammer H, Belanoff C, et al.. Men who have sex with men: perceptions about sexual risk, HIV
and sexually transmitted disease testing, and provider communication. Sex Transm Dis. 2007;34:113–119.
15. Beckwith CG, Flanigan TP, del Rio C, et al.. It is time to implement routine, not risk-based, HIV
testing. Clin Infect Dis. 2005;40:1037–1040.
17. WHO/UNAIDS. The Treatment 2.0 Framework for Action: Catalysing the Next Phase of Treatment, Care and Support. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2011.
18. Chow EP, Wilson DP, Zhang L. The rate of HIV
testing is increasing among men who have sex with men in China
19. Suthar AB, Ford N, Bachanas PJ, et al.. Towards universal voluntary HIV
testing and Counselling: a systematic review and meta-analysis of community-based approaches. PLoS Med. 2013;10.
20. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). HIV
testing among men who have sex with men–21 cities, United States, 2008. MMWR Morbidity Mortality Weekly Report. 2011;60:694–699.
21. Carballo-Dieguez A, Balan IC, Dolezal C, et al.. HIV
testing practices among men who have sex with men in Buenos Aires, Argentina. AIDS Care. 2014;26:33–41.
22. Carballo-Dieguez A, Frasca T, Dolezal C, et al.. Will gay and bisexually active men at high risk of infection use over-the-counter rapid HIV
tests to screen sexual partners? J Sex Res. 2012;49:379–387.
23. Greacen T, Friboulet D, Fugon L, et al.. Access to and use of unauthorised online HIV
self-tests by internet-using French-speaking men who have sex with men. Sex Transm Infect. 2012;88:368–374.
24. Wei C, Guadamuz TE, Lim SH, et al.. Sexual transmission behaviors and serodiscordant partnerships among HIV
-positive men who have sex with men in Asia. Sex Transm Dis. 2012;39:312–315.
25. Xu Y, Zhang Z, Li D, et al.. Willingness to use the oral fluid HIV
rapid test among men who have sex with men in Beijing, China
. PLoS One. 8:e64652.
26. Jiabao W. Regulations on AIDS Prevention and Treatment. Beijing, China
: Decree of the State Council of the People's Republic of China
No. 457; 2006.
27. Li X, Lu H, Raymond HF, et al.. Untested and undiagnosed: barriers to HIV
testing among men who have sex with men, Beijing, China
. Sex Transm Infect. 2012;88:187–193.
28. Bavinton BR, Brown G, Hurley M, et al.. Which gay men would increase their frequency of HIV
testing with home self-testing
? AIDS Behav. 2013;17:2084–2092.
29. Young SD, Cumberland WG, Lee SJ, et al.. Social Networking Technologies as an Emerging Tool for HIV
PreventionA Cluster Randomized Trial. Ann Intern Med. 2013;159:318–324.
30. Tucker JD. Social Entrepreneurship for Sexual Health: Data to Inform Social Media Platforms for HIV
Testing in China
. Paper presented at: World Health Summit 2013, Berlin, Germany.
31. Zhang D, Bi P, Lv F, et al.. Differences between Internet and community samples of MSM
: implications for behavioral surveillance among MSM
. AIDS Care. 2008;20:1128–1137.
32. Zhang DP, Han L, Li CM, et al.. The impact of community-based organizations in HIV
testing mobilization among men who have sex with men [Article in Chinese]. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2013;47:431–434.
33. Stekler JD, Swenson PD, Coombs RW, et al.. HIV
testing in a high-incidence population: is antibody testing alone good enough? Clin Infect Dis. 2009;49:444–453.
34. Ng OT, Chow AL, Lee VJ, et al.. Accuracy and user-acceptability of HIV self-testing
using an oral fluid-based HIV
rapid test. PLoS One. 2012;7:e45168.