- Read the article on page 38.
- The test for this CE activity can be taken online at www.NursingCenter.com/JAANP. Find the test under the article title.
- You will need to create a username and password and login to your personal CE Planner account before taking online tests. Your planner will keep track of all your Lippincott Professional Development online CE activities for you.
- There is only one correct answer for each question. A passing score for this test is 7 correct answers. If you pass, you can print your certificate of earned contact hours and access the answer key. If you fail, you have the option of taking the test again at no additional cost.
- For questions, contact Lippincott Professional Development: 1-800-787-8985.
Registration Deadline: January 1, 2022
Disclosure Statement: The authors and planners have disclosed that they have no financial relationships related to this article.
This activity is approved for 1.0 contact hour of continuing education by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. Activity ID 20114632. This activity was planned in accordance with AANP CE Standards and Policies.
This activity is also provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 11749 for 1.0 contact hour. Lippincott Professional Development is also an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the District of Columbia, Georgia, and Florida, CE Broker #50-1223.
• The registration fee for this test is $12.95. AANP members are eligible for a 50% discount. Visit the member-benefit section on AANP website (https://aanp.org/membership/memberbenefits) to obtain the discount code. Use the code when asked for payment during checkout.
Learning Outcome: Nurses will demonstrate competency in interpreting the results of a study conducted to assess the impact of advanced practice RNs' burnout experiences and applying targeted interventions toward improvement of overall health and well-being by achieving a minimum score of 70% on the outcomes-based posttest.
Learning Objectives: After completing this continuing professional development activity, the participant will be able to apply knowledge gained to:
- 1. Define the key concepts of burnout that serve as preparation for understanding the authors' study.
- 2. Identify the results of the authors' study of the prevalence and impact of advanced practice RNs' burnout that could lend insight when dealing with similar issues in practice.
- 3. Apply the ideas from the authors' study to recommendations for helping mitigate burnout in professional practice.
- 1. According to Maslach and Leiter (2016), one of the three key dimensions of burnout is a
- a. diminished overall quality of life.
- b. decrease in productivity at work and at home.
- c. sense of ineffectiveness and lack of accomplishment.
- 2. An example of an external factor that can affect clinicians' well-being and resilience is
- a. the type of health care practice.
- b. the learning and practice environment.
- c. professional roles and responsibilities.
- 3. Kumar et al. (2015) noted that factors affecting resilience include
- a. creativity.
- b. spirituality.
- c. determination.
- 4. Of the 433 respondents to the authors' survey, 40.4% reported experiencing burnout
- a. currently.
- b. formerly.
- c. never.
- 5. The highest percentage of respondents reported
- a. high levels of depersonalization.
- b. high levels of emotional exhaustion.
- c. low levels of personal accomplishment.
- 6. For each of the statistically significant findings from the authors' study, the respondents in which burnout group had lower functioning/health and lower pain scores than did the respondents in the other two groups?
- a. current
- b. former
- c. never
- 7. In all three groups, which response to the open-ended question about strategies essential for improving burnout symptoms was most prevalent?
- a. exercising
- b. taking a vacation
- c. getting counseling
Case-Based Intervention: Place yourself in the role of a member of the administrative team of an extensive regional network of primary-care and specialty clinics. Your team is brainstorming ideas for preventing and reducing burnout among the advanced practice RNs staffing the clinics. The team has planned to categorize the ideas they find feasible into strategic groups of proposals. Use the scenario below to apply the knowledge and skills you learned in the attached article to answer questions #8 through #10.
- 8. When the team asks for organizational recommendations that support self-care, which of the following should you recommend?
- a. encouraging staff to use all their vacation time
- b. asking staff to commit to learning a new skill
- c. creating a de-stressing space in each clinic
- 9. When the team asks for organizational recommendations that reflect leadership support, which of the following should you recommend?
- a. promoting peer mentorship
- b. offering job-change options
- c. considering pay for performance
- 10. When the team asks for individual/personal recommendations to suggest to the staff, which of the following should you recommend?
- a. volunteering
- b. researching
- c. team building
For more than 416 additional continuing education articles related to Advanced Practice Nursing topics, go to NursingCenter.com.