I read with great interest the article published by Kharbanda and Anand1 and congratulate the authors for a well written manuscript. However, I have a few observations and suggestions to make that may be beneficial for the readers to get more insight from the article. There was no mention about sampling method, was it convenient sampling? What about period of patient enrolment or were it any exclusion criteria which could influence the results. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) frequently associated with comorbidities such as asthma, cardiovascular disease and diabetes, can affect health-related quality of life (HRQOL) of patients and need to be excluded to look for the effect of COPD on HRQOL. It is also important to exclude patients with exacerbation in the last one month to avoid overestimation of HRQOL2. HRQOL that worsens with severity of COPD has been shown by various Indian and international studies34567. GOLD guideline always mentions the age cut-off to suspect COPD in a patient above 40 yr, but authors included patients 45 yr of age; the reason for this was not clear. There has been a weak correlation between FEV1, symptoms and heath status of patients, and therefore, in the recent GOLD guideline, it has been removed from disease assessment89. It would have been good to add HRQOL in relation to disease classification as A/B/C/D rather than only airflow obstruction. There was also an important observation from the authors that onset of COPD at a younger age has a greater deterioration of HRQOL.
Financial support & sponsorship: None.
Conflicts of Interest: None.
1. Kharbanda S, Anand R Health-related quality of life in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A hospital-based study Indian J Med Res 2021 153 459–64
2. Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease Available from: http://www.goldcopd.com
accessed on August 29, 2021
3. Ferrer M, Alonso J, Morera J, Marrades RM, Khalaf A, Aguar MC, et al Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease stage and health-related quality of life. The Quality of Life of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Study Group Ann Intern Med 1997 127 1072–9
4. Hajiro T, Nishimura K, Tsukino M, Ikeda A, Oga T Stages of disease severity and factors that affect the health status of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease Respir Med 2000 94 841–6
5. Shavro SA, Ezhilarasu P, Augustine J, Bechtel JJ, Christopher DJ Correlation of health-related quality of life with other disease severity indices in Indian chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2012 7 291–6
6. Dignani L, Toccaceli A, Lucertini C, Petrucci C, Lancia L Sleep and quality of life in people with COPD: A descriptive-correlational study Clin Nurs Res 2016 25 432–47
7. Ahmed MS, Neyaz A, Aslami AN Health-related quality of life of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients: Results from a community based cross-sectional study in Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh, India Lung India 2016 33 148–53
8. Jones PW Health status and the spiral of decline COPD 2009 6 59–63
9. Han MK, Muellerova H, Curran-Everett D, Dransfield MT, Washko GR, Regan EA, et al GOLD 2011 disease severity classification in COPD Gene: A prospective cohort study Lancet Respir Med 2013 1 43–50