The Editors of Obstetrics & Gynecology are pleased to announce the winners of the 2016 Roy M. Pitkin Award and the 2016 Harold A. Kaminetzky Prize Paper.
The Roy M. Pitkin Award was established in 1998 to honor departments of obstetrics and gynecology that promote and demonstrate excellence in research. The award consists of a $5,000 unrestricted grant presented to each department that published an outstanding article in Obstetrics & Gynecology during the past year. We recognize both the authors and the departments for the quality of the research and publication of the results. Each editor independently selected articles from all those published in 2016 as finalists in this year’s competition. This is a difficult task and one we take very seriously. A panel of former Editorial Board members then reviewed and ranked those articles based on scientific merit, methodology, presentation of results, soundness of conclusions, writing style, and importance to the specialty. This year’s departmental winners are listed below with their winning articles.
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kaiser Permanente at Baldwin Park (Lyn Yasumura, MD, Chair)
- Feldman RK, Tieu RS, Yasumura L. Gestational diabetes screening: The International Association of the Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Groups compared with Carpenter-Coustan screening. Obstet Gynecol 2016;127:10–7.
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mayo Clinic (Abimbola Famuyide, MBBS, Chair)
- Johnson MP, Kim SJ, Langstraat CL, Jain S, Habermann EB, Wentink JE, Grubbs PL, Nehring SA, Weaver AL, McGree ME, Cima RR, Dowdy SC, Bakkum-Gamez JN. Using bundled interventions to reduce surgical site infection after major gynecologic cancer surgery. Obstet Gynecol 2016;127:1135–44.
- Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, UTHealth McGovern School of Medicine (Sean C. Blackwell, MD, Chair)
- Moise KJ Jr, Gandhi M, Boring NH, OʼShaughnessy R, Simpson LL, Wolfe HM, Baxter JK, Polzin W, Eddleman KA, Hassan SS, Skupski DW, Ryan G, Walker M, Lam G, Brown R, Skoll MA, Robinson C, Sheikh A, Bronsteen R, Plante LA, McLennan G, Chikova A, Paladino T. Circulating cell-free DNA to determine the fetal RHD status in all three trimesters of pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2016;128:1340–6.
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine (Deborah A. Driscoll, MD, Chair)
- Levine LD, Downes KL, Elovitz MA, Parry S, Sammel MD, Srinivas SK. Mechanical and pharmacologic methods of labor induction: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2016;128:1357–64.
The Harold A. Kaminetzky Prize Paper was established in 2008 to recognize the best article from a non-U.S. researcher each year. Dr. Harold A. Kaminetzky, former President of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, had a long career as editor of major medical journals. His last editorship was as Editor of the International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics. Dr. Kaminetzky also had a long interest in international activities. Articles published in 2016 were selected by the editors, and a panel of former Editorial Board members chose the winner. The recipient of the award will receive $2,000. This year’s winner is:
- Park CK, Isayama T, McDonald SD. Antenatal corticosteroid therapy before 24 weeks of gestation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Obstet Gynecol 2016;127:715–25. From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
On behalf of the selection committee, the Editors, and the Editorial Board, we congratulate each recipient of the 2016 Roy M. Pitkin Award and the 2016 Harold A. Kaminetzky Prize Paper. We are proud to play a role in encouraging quality research and scientific writing that ultimately will improve the health care of women. We are also grateful to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, which generously funded these grants.
Roy M. Pitkin Award/Kaminetzky Prize Paper Panel, 2016
Patrick Duff, MD, Chair
William W. Andrews, PhD, MD
Lee A. Learman, MD, PhD
Nancy C. Rose, MD