The Editors of Obstetrics & Gynecology are pleased to announce the winners of the 2014 Roy M. Pitkin Award and the 2014 Harold A. Kaminetzky Prize Paper.
The Roy M. Pitkin Award was established in 1998 to honor departments of obstetrics and gynecology that promote and demonstrate excellence in research. The award consists of a $5,000 unrestricted grant presented to each department whose faculty, fellows, or residents published one of the most outstanding articles in Obstetrics & Gynecology during the past year. We recognize both the authors and the departments for the quality of the research and publication of the results. Each editor independently selected articles from all those published in 2014 as finalists in this year's competition. This is a difficult task and one we take very seriously. A panel of former Editorial Board members then reviewed and ranked those articles based on scientific merit, importance to the specialty, study design, methodology, presentation of results, soundness of conclusions, and writing style. This year, we have chosen four winners, and they are:
- Dieter AA, Amundsen CL, Edenfield AL, Kawasaki A, Levin PJ, Visco AG, Siddiqui NY. Oral antibiotics to prevent postoperative urinary tract infection: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2014;123:96–103. From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Duke University Medical Center (Haywood L. Brown, MD, Chair).
- Wu JM, Matthews CA, Conover MM, Pate V, Jonsson Funk M. Lifetime risk of stress urinary incontinence or pelvic organ prolapse surgery. Obstet Gynecol 2014;123:1201–6. From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Daniel L. Clarke-Pearson, MD, Chair).
- Melville JL, Reed SD, Russo J, Croicu CA, Ludman E, LaRocco-Cockburn A, Katon W. Improving care for depression in obstetrics and gynecology: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2014;123:1237–46. From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Washington School of Medicine (David A. Eschenbach, MD, Chair).
- Elimian A, Goodman J, Escobedo M, Nightingale L, Knudtson E, Williams M. Immediate compared with delayed cord clamping in the preterm neonate: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2014;124:1075–9. From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center (Karl R. Hansen, MD, PhD, Chair).
The Harold A. Kaminetzky Prize Paper was established in 2008 to recognize the best article from a non-U.S. researcher each year. Dr. Harold A. Kaminetzky, former President of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, had a long career as editor of major medical journals. His last editorship was as Editor of the International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics. Dr. Kaminetzky also had a long interest in international activities. Articles published in 2014 were selected by the editors, and a panel of former Editorial Board members chose the winner. The recipient of the award will receive $2,000. This year's winner is:
- Smith PP, Middleton LJ, Connor M, Clark TJ. Hysteroscopic morcellation compared with electrical resection of endometrial polyps: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2014;123:745–51. From Birmingham Women's Hospital, Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom.
On behalf of the selection committee, the Editors, and the Editorial Board, we congratulate each recipient of the 2014 Roy M. Pitkin Award and the 2014 Harold A. Kaminetzky Prize Paper. We are proud to play a role in encouraging quality research and scientific writing that ultimately will improve the health care of women. We are also grateful to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, which generously funded these grants.