The Editors of Obstetrics & Gynecology are pleased to announce the winners of the 2013 Roy M. Pitkin Award and the 2013 Harold A. Kaminetzky Prize Paper.
The Roy M. Pitkin Award was established in 1998 to honor departments of obstetrics and gynecology that promote and demonstrate excellence in research. The award consists of a $5,000 unrestricted grant presented to each department whose faculty, fellows, or residents published one of the most outstanding articles in Obstetrics & Gynecology during the past year. We recognize both the authors and the departments for the quality of the research and publication of the results. Each editor independently selected articles from all those published in 2013 as finalists in this year's competition. This is a difficult task and one we take very seriously. A panel of former Editorial Board members then reviewed and ranked those articles based on scientific merit, importance to the specialty, study design, methodology, presentation of results, soundness of conclusions, and writing style. This year, we have chosen four winners, and they are:
- Figueroa D, Jauk VC, Szychowski JM, Garner R, Biggio JR, Andrews WW, Hauth J, Tita ATN. Surgical staples compared with subcuticular suture for skin closure after cesarean delivery: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2013;121:33–8. From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Alabama at Birmingham (William W. Andrews, PhD, MD, Chair).
- Carbone JF, Tuuli MG, Fogertey PJ, Roehl KA, Macones GA. Combination of Foley bulb and vaginal misoprostol compared with vaginal misoprostol alone for cervical ripening and labor induction: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2013;121:247–52. From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (George A. Macones, MD, MSCE, Chair).
- Oshiro BT, Kowalewski L, Sappenfield W, Alter CC, Bettegowda VR, Russell R, Curran J, Reeves L, Kacica M, Andino N, Mason-Marti P, Crouse D, Knight S, Littlejohn K, Malatok S, Dudley DJ, Berns SD. A multistate quality improvement program to decrease elective deliveries before 39 weeks of gestation. Obstet Gynecol 2013;121:1025–31. From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Loma Linda University School of Medicine (Melissa Y. Kidder, MD, Interim Chair).
- ElNaggar AC, Santoso JT. Risk factors for anal intraepithelial neoplasia in women with genital dysplasia. Obstet Gynecol 2013;122:218–23. From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center (Giancarlo Mari, MD, Chair).
The Harold A. Kaminetzky Prize Paper was established in 2008 to recognize the best article from a non-U.S. researcher each year. Dr. Harold A. Kaminetzky, former President of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, has had a long career as editor of major medical journals. His last editorship was as Editor of the International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics. Dr. Kaminetzky also has had a long interest in international activities. Articles published in 2013 were selected by the editors, and a panel of former Editorial Board members chose the winner. The recipient of the award will receive $2,000. This year's winner is:
- Shekhar S, Sharma C, Thakur S, Verma S. Oral nifedipine or intravenous labetalol for hypertensive emergency in pregnancy: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2013;122:1057–63. From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Dr. Rajendra Prasad Government Medical College, Tanda, Kangra, HP, India (Suresh Verma, MBBS, MD, Chair).
On behalf of the selection committee, the Editors, and the Editorial Board, we congratulate each recipient of the 2013 Roy M. Pitkin Award and the 2013 Harold A. Kaminetzky Prize Paper. We are proud to play a role in encouraging quality research and scientific writing that ultimately will improve the health care of women. We are also grateful to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, which generously funded these grants.