The Editors of Obstetrics & Gynecology are pleased to announce the winners of the 2012 Roy M. Pitkin Award and the 2012 Harold A. Kaminetzky Prize Paper.
The Roy M. Pitkin Award was established in 1998 to honor departments of obstetrics and gynecology that promote and demonstrate excellence in research. The award consists of a $5,000 unrestricted grant presented to each department whose faculty, fellows, or residents published one of the most outstanding articles in Obstetrics & Gynecology during the past year. We recognize both the authors and the departments for the quality of the research and publication of the results. Each editor independently selected articles from all those published in 2012 as finalists in this year's competition. This is a difficult task and one we take very seriously. A panel of former Editorial Board members then reviewed and ranked those articles based on scientific merit, importance to the specialty, study design, methodology, presentation of results, soundness of conclusions, and writing style. This year, we have chosen three winners, and they are:
- Espey E, Ogburn T, Leeman L, Singh R, Ostrom K, Schrader R. Effect of progestin compared with combined oral contraceptive pills on lactation: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2012;119:5–13. From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of New Mexico (William F. Rayburn, MD, MBA, Chair).
- Tita ATN, Szychowski JM, Rouse DJ, Bean CM, Chapman V, Nothern A, Figueroa D, Quinn R, Andrews WW, Hauth JC. Higher-dose oxytocin and hemorrhage after vaginal delivery: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2012;119:293–300. From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Alabama at Birmingham (William W. Andrews, PhD, MD, Chair).*
- Peipert JF, Madden T, Allsworth JE, Secura GM. Preventing unintended pregnancies by providing no-cost contraception. Obstet Gynecol 2012;120:1291–7. From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (George A. Macones, MD, MSCE, Chair).
The Harold A. Kaminetzky Prize Paper was established in 2008 to recognize the best article from a non-U.S. researcher each year. Dr. Harold A. Kaminetzky, former President of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, has had a long career as editor of major medical journals. His last editorship was as Editor of the International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics. Dr. Kaminetzky also has had a long interest in international activities. Articles published in 2012 were selected by the editors, and a panel of former Editorial Board members chose the winner. The recipient of the award will receive $2,000. This year's winner is:
- Wikman AT, Tiblad E, Karlsson A, Olsson ML, Westgren M, Reilly M. Noninvasive single-exon fetal RHD determination in a routine screening program in early pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2012;120:227–34. From the Department of Clinical Immunology and Transfusion Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden (Joachim Lundahl, MD, Chair).
On behalf of the selection committee, the Editors, and the Editorial Board, we congratulate each recipient of the 2012 Roy M. Pitkin Award and the 2012 Harold A. Kaminetzky Prize Paper. We are proud to play a role in encouraging quality research and scientific writing that ultimately will improve the health care of women. We are also grateful to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, which generously funded these grants.
- Roy M. Pitkin Award/Kaminetzky Prize Paper Panel, 2012
- Patrick Duff, MD, Chair
- Linda Brubaker, MD
- F. Gary Cunningham, MD Christopher M. Zahn, MD
* Dr. Rouse, Associate Editor–Elect of Obstetrics & Gynecology, was not a member of the Committee that selected the prize papers.