The objective of this study was to determine adherence to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines for Group Beta Streptococcus (GBS) results available at the time of delivery.
A retrospective cohort review was conducted including women admitted for delivery who received prenatal care within the prior 6 weeks. Women were divided into groups including positive, negative and unknown GBS status. Source and effects of GBS status on adherence to CDC guidelines were collected.
Of the 97 women who met study criteria, 20.6% (N=20) had unknown status, 26.8% (N=26) positive result and 52.6% (N=51) negative result. In 10% of women with unknown status, the result was available on electronic health record (EHR) with interface between outpatient with inpatient setting. The remaining 90% of cases did not have access to GBS results obtained in the prenatal setting. Adherence to CDC guidelines occurred in 45% (N=9) of these women in which antibiotics were administered only with known risk factors. Non-adherence occurred in 55% of cases such that 11 women received unnecessary antibiotic exposure even in the absence of risk factors. Moreover, when the GBS results were eventually available, 2 were negative.
In our study, less than 50% of women with unknown GBS status received therapy in compliance with CDC recommendations. Efforts should be made to ensure EHR access to prenatally obtained GBS results and to educate health care providers regarding the potential harms of exposure of unindicated therapies.