SHORT REPORTSComa due to cannabis toxicity in an infantAppelboam, Andrewa; Oades, Patrick J.bAuthor Information Department of aEmergency Medicine bPaediatrics, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Exeter, Devon, UK Correspondence and requests for reprints to Dr Andrew Appelboam, C/o Department of Emergency Medicine, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Barrack Road, Exeter, Devon EX2 5DW, UK E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Received 30 September 2005 Accepted 1 November 2005 European Journal of Emergency Medicine: June 2006 - Volume 13 - Issue 3 - p 177-179 doi: 10.1097/01.mej.0000194405.38206.f2 Buy Metrics Abstract In young children, cannabis ingestion resulting in coma is very rare. Only nine cases have been reported in the literature and most have occurred in inquisitive toddlers. We review the cases to date and report the youngest recorded case of coma due to cannabis ingestion in an 11-month-old girl. This case highlights the importance of considering toxicological causes and the parental recreational drug history in young children who present with an altered level of consciousness. Child protection considerations are also discussed. © 2006 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc.