Research paper: Gynecological cancerCervical cancer screening and Pap test non-adherence risk factors in systemic sclerosis patientsKavosi, Hodaa; Javinani, Alia; Kazemi-Rahmatabadi, Zahraa; Alyasin, Ashrafb,,c; Sefidbakht, Salmad; Gharibdoost, Farhada; Jamshidi, Ahmad Rezaa; Mirbeyk, Monaa; Imeni, Vahideha; Gorgani, Fatemeha; Tamartash, ZahraaAuthor Information aRheumatology Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences bDepartment of Endocrinology and Infertility, Shariati Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences cDepartment of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Faculty of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences dDepartment of Pathology, Shariati Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran Received 9 May 2019 Accepted 6 August 2019 Supplemental digital content is available for this article. Direct URL citations appear in the printed text and are provided in the HTML and PDF versions of this article on the journal's website (www.eurjcancerprev.com). Correspondence to Hoda Kavosi, MD, Rheumatology Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences (TUMS), Tehran, Iran, Tel/Fax: +98 218 822 0067; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org European Journal of Cancer Prevention: May 2020 - Volume 29 - Issue 3 - p 266-269 doi: 10.1097/CEJ.0000000000000541 Buy SDC Metrics Abstract Systemic sclerosis is a rare autoimmune disorder that potentially affects nearly every organ of the body. Malignancies are one of the most common non-systemic sclerosis related cause of mortality. There are controversial findings regarding the cervical cancer rate among these patients, but prolonged immunosuppressive medication makes them more susceptible to cervical cancer. In the present study, we have aimed to investigate the cervical cancer screening result and the Pap test non-adherence risk factors among systemic sclerosis patients. This cross-sectional study was conducted on 100 systemic sclerosis patients. The clinicodemographic variables in addition to cervical cancer risk factors were obtained from the patients. Pap test performed using the liquid-based method. The non-adherence risk factors were determined by univariate and multivariate logistic regression analysis. Benign inflammatory and atrophic changes were reported in 26 and 5%, respectively. None of the cases had abnormal cytological finding. Twenty-two percent of the participants were a routine Pap test performer. According to the multivariate model, higher age was associated with Pap test non-adherence [odds ratio (95% confidence interval): 1.058 (1.010–1.108) and P-value: 0.018]. In the present study, we have shown that compliance with Pap test performing is extremely low among Iranian systemic sclerosis patients. In addition, we have demonstrated that older age is a risk factor for non-adherence. These findings highlighted the crucial role of the physicians in motivating the patients toward cancer screening. Copyright © 2019 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc. All rights reserved.