About the ESAIC
The European Society of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care (ESAIC) resulted from the amalgamation of the former European Society of Anaesthesiologists (ESA), the European Academy of Anaesthesiology (EAA) and the Confederation of European National Societies of Anaesthesiologists (CENSA) and holds the most prominent position in the community of anaesthesiologists in Europe and elsewhere.
The Society is governed by a Board of Directors, a Council and the General Assembly. The Council is elected by Active Members of the Society from each European country with a minimum of 25 Active Members. The Board of Directors is elected by the Council. The General Assembly convenes at the time of the ESAIC's European Anaesthesiology Congress.
The Society is comprised of Individual Members and Society Members. Society Members are represented within the ESAIC by the National Anaesthesiologists Societies Committee (NASC) which is represented on the Board of Directors.
The European Society of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care is the European Regional Section of the World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists (WFSA).
ESAIC is a member of Alliance for Biomedical Research in Europe (BioMed Alliance). BioMed Alliance is committed to promoting excellence in European biomedical research and innovation with the goal of improving the health and well-being of all European citizens. The BioMed Alliance Code of Conduct sets out core principles to maintain and enhance professional independence, objectivity and scientific integrity.
To be the leading European organisation for members and national societies for Anaesthesia, Critical Care, Pain and Perioperative Medicine
- To promote the professional role of anaesthesiologists, to improve perioperative patient outcomes by focusing on the quality of care and patient safety Strategy
- To implement the Helsinki Declaration and lead Patient Safety projects,
- To promote and provide high-quality training and education, endorsed by a robust and uniform system of examination and certification,
- To develop research projects through the Clinical Trial Network and the Academic A-CRO, and
- To promote the role of anaesthesiologists in perioperative medicine with institutional stakeholders.
The ESAIC Aims to:
- Promote the exchange of information between European anaesthesiologists.
- Disseminate information in regard to anaesthesiology.
- Raise the standards of the speciality by fostering and encouraging education, research, scientific progress and exchange of information.
- Promote and protect the interest of its members.
- Promote improvements in the safety and quality of care of patients who are under the care of anaesthesiologists inside and outside the operating room by facilitating and harmonising the activities of national and international societies of anaesthesiologists in Europe.
The ESAIC organises the academic programme of the European Anaesthesiology Congresses, Euroanaesthesia and the Focus Meeting on Perioperative Medicine. Members and Non-Members from more than 80 countries from around the world attend these meetings. The European Anaesthesiology Congresses offer a comprehensive scientific programme consisting of refresher course lectures, symposia and workshops, as well as the presentation and discussion of the latest research undertaken in Europe in particular. The European Anaesthesiology Congresses are accredited by the U.E.M.S./EACCME for C.M.E. credits.