In the current study, women with malignant ovarian masses had a significantly higher mean age when compared with women with benign ovarian lesions. Ovarian cancer can occur at any age but Myers et al.11 mentioned that cancer incidence increases dramatically with age, being relatively rare before the age of 50 years. According to data reported by the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results program, the median age at ovarian cancer diagnosis was 63 years, and ovarian cancer was diagnosed in 68.6% of patients after the age of 55 years 2. In our study, 64.6% of patients were premenopausal, whereas 35.4% were postmenopausal. The proportion of malignancy among postmenopausal women was significantly higher than that among premenopausal women (57.9%).
There are no conflicts of interest.
1. Jemal A, Tiwari RC, Murray T, Ghafoor A, Samuels A, Ward E, et al..Cancer statistics, 2004.CA Cancer J Clin2004;54:8–29.
2. Ries LAG, Harkins D, Krapcho M, Mariotto A, Miller BA, Feuer EJ, et al..SEER cancer statistics review, 1975–20032006.Bethesda, MD:National Cancer InstituteAvailable at: http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2003/
, based on November 2005 SEER data submission, posted to the SEER web site.
3. Schink JC.Current initial therapy of stage III and IV ovarian cancer
: challenges for managed care.Semin Oncol1999;26Suppl2–7.
4. Bast RC Jr, Badgwell D, Lu Z, Marquez R, Rosen D, Liu J, et al..New tumor markers: CA125 and beyond.Int J Gynecol Cancer2005;15Suppl 3274–281.
5. Moore RG, McMeekin DS, Brown AK, DiSilvestro P, Miller MC, Allard WJ, et al..A novel multiple marker bioassay utilizing HE4
and CA125 for the prediction of ovarian cancer
in patients with a pelvic mass.Gynecol Oncol2009;112:40–46.
6. Drapkin R, Von Horsten HH, Lin Y, Mok SC, Crum CP, Welch WR, Hecht JL.Human epididymis protein 4
) is a secreted glycoprotein that is overexpressed by serous and endometrioid ovarian carcinomas.Cancer Res2005;65:2162–2169.
7. Andersen MR, Goff BA, Lowe KA, Scholler N, Bergan L, Drescher CW, et al..Use of a Symptom Index, CA125, and HE4
to predict ovarian cancer
8. El Sherbini MA, Sallam MM, Shaban EA, El-Shalakany AH.Diagnostic value of serum kallikrein-related peptidases 6 and 10 versus CA125 in ovarian cancer
.Int J Gynecol Cancer2011;21:625–632.
9. Abdel-Azeez HA, Labib HA, Sharaf SM, Refaie AN.HE4
and mesothelin: novel biomarkers of ovarian carcinoma in patients with pelvic masses.Asian Pac J Cancer Prev2010;11:111–116.
10. Huhtinen K, Suvitie P, Hiissa J, Junnila J, Huvila J, Kujari H, et al..Serum HE4
concentration differentiates malignant ovarian tumours from ovarian endometriotic cysts.Br J Cancer2009;100:1315–1319.
11. Myers ER, Bastian LA, Havrilesky LJ, Kulasingam SL, Terplan MS, Cline KE, et al..Management of adnexal mass.Evid Rep Technol Assess (Full Rep)2006;130:1–145.
12. Givens V, Mitchell G, Harraway-Smith C, Reddy A, Maness DL.Diagnosis and management of adnexal masses.Am Fam Physician2009;80:815–820821–822.
13. Goff BA, Mandel LS, Drescher CW, Urban N, Gough S, Schurman KM, et al..Development of an ovarian cancer
symptom index: possibilities for earlier detection.Cancer2007;109:221–227.
14. Yu S, Yang HJ, Xie SQ, Bao YX.Diagnostic value of HE4
for ovarian cancer
: a meta-analysis.Clin Chem Lab Med2012;50:1439–1446.
15. Zheng H, Gao Y.Serum HE4
as a useful biomarker in discriminating ovarian cancer
from benign pelvic disease.Int J Gynecol Cancer2012;22:1000–1005.
16. Montagnana M, Danese E, Giudici S, Franchi M, Guidi GC, Plebani M, Lippi G.HE4
in ovarian cancer
: from discovery to clinical application.Adv Clin Chem2011;55:1–20.
17. Molina R, Escudero JM, Augé JM, Filella X, Foj L, Torné A, et al..HE4
a novel tumour marker for ovarian cancer
: comparison with CA 125 and ROMA algorithm in patients with gynaecological diseases.Tumour Biol2011;32:1087–1095.
18. Kadija S, Stefanovic A, Jeremic K, Radojevic MM, Nikolic L, Markovic I, Atanackovic J.The utility of human epididymal protein 4, cancer antigen 125, and risk for malignancy algorithm in ovarian cancer
and endometriosis.Int J Gynecol Cancer2012;22:238–244.
19. Jacob F, Meier M, Caduff R, Goldstein D, Pochechueva T, Hacker N, et al..No benefit from combining HE4
and CA125 as ovarian tumor markers in a clinical setting.Gynecol Oncol2011;121:487–491.
20. Wu L, Dai ZY, Qian YH, Shi Y, Liu FJ, Yang C.Diagnostic value of serum human epididymis protein 4
) in ovarian carcinoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Gynecol Cancer2012;22:1106–1112.
21. Nolen B, Velikokhatnaya L, Marrangoni A, De Geest K, Lomakin A, Bast RC Jr, Lokshin A.Serum biomarker panels for the discrimination of benign from malignant cases in patients with an adnexal mass.Gynecol Oncol2010;117:440–445.
22. Havrilesky LJ, Whitehead CM, Rubatt JM, Cheek RL, Groelke J, He Q, et al..Evaluation of biomarker panels for early stage ovarian cancer
detection and monitoring for disease recurrence.Gynecol Oncol2008;110:374–382.