Secondary Logo

Journal Logo

Institutional members access full text with Ovid®

Deep Resting Glabellar Rhytides Respond to BTX-A and Hylan B

CARRUTHERS, JEAN, MD*; CARRUTHERS, ALASTAIR, MD; MABERLEY, DAVID, MD*

ORIGINAL ARTICLES
Buy
SDC

BACKGROUND BTX-A is the standard treatment for glabellar furrows. However, some individuals have resting glabellar rhytides that are sufficiently deep that they respond poorly to BTX-A alone.

OBJECTIVE To compare the efficacy of BTX-A combined with intradermal Hylan B with the efficacy of BTX-A alone in individuals with moderate to severe glabellar rhytides.

METHODS This was a retrospective study of 16 subjects with moderate to severe glabellar rhytides. Their response to Hylan B plus BTX-A was compared clinically and photographically to their response to BTX-A alone.

RESULTS All subjects had moderate or severe glabellar rhytides at rest before treatment. After BTX-A alone, none (0%) had achieved no or mild rhytides. After BTX-A and Hylan B injection, only 1 of 16 (6%) had moderate glabellar rhytides, with the remainder (94%) being mild.

CONCLUSION Moderate to severe glabellar rhytides were treated better by BTX-A combined with Hylan B injection than by BTX-A alone.

*Department of Ophthalmology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Department of Dermatology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Address correspondence and reprint requests to: Jean D.A. Carruthers, MD, 943 West Broadway, Suite 740, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V5Z 4E1, or e-mail: drjean@carruthers.net

DRS. CARRUTHERS ARE CONSULTANTS TO ALLERGAN, ELAN, Q-MED, AND INAMED, AND ARE MINORITY SHAREHOLDERS IN Q-MED.

© 2003 by the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, Inc.
You currently do not have access to this article

To access this article:

Note: If your society membership provides full-access, you may need to login on your society website