After reading this article, the participant should be able to:
- 1. Identify the different types of fractures involving the C1 (atlas) vertebra.
- 2. Recall the mechanisms of different C1 fractures and other possible associated injuries.
- 3. Create a treatment plan based on the fracture type.
- 4. Identify the different potential surgical approaches and their possible complications.
Dr. Barami is a resident in the department of neurosurgery at Wayne State University and Dr. Rengachary is Professor and Associate Academic Chairman, Department of Neurosurgery, Wayne State University, University Health Center, 4201 St. Antoine, 6E, Detroit, Michigan 48201.
The authors have disclosed that they have no significant relationships with or financial interests in any commercial organizations pertaining to this educational activity.
Editor: Ali F. Krisht, M.D.*
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Production Assistant: Ronalda Williams
Ossama Al-Mefty, M.D.
Evandro De Oliveira, M.D.
Curtis A. Dickman, M.D.
Rudolph Fahlbusch, M.D.
John Fox, M.D.
Allan Friedman, M.D.
Douglas Kondziolka, M.D.
Mark Linskey, M.D.
Tom Origitano, M.D.
Glenn Pait, M.D.
Kalmon Post, M.D.
Chandra Sen, M.D.
Robert Solomon, M.D.
Martin Weiss, M.D.
Gazi Yasargil, M.D.
* Dr. Krisht has disclosed that he has no significant relationships with or financial interests in any commercial organizations pertaining to this educational activity.