Likewise, other studies found a same correlation between both variables in different conditions like middle-age men  and hypertension [16, 17]. Moreover, 8-iso-PGF2α was reported to be directly correlated with the extent of coronary atherosclerosis .
The atherogenic role of 8-iso-PGF2α may be attributed to its mitogenic, vasoconstrictive and platelet-activating features .
In spite of the presence of a large number of studies that have established a direct link between IL-6 and atherosclerosis, some studies did not reach to existence of such a relationship .
In the current study, a strong direct correlation between IL-6 and CIMT in T2DM was revealed and IL-6 was found to significantly predict carotid subclinical atherosclerosis in T2DM in multiple regression analysis. This is in good agreement with what showed by Dahlén et al. . It also goes in concordance with what found in a meta-analysis carried out by Zhang et al. .
There were some limitations in our study. In addition to the relatively small sample size, our study population was composed of male Egyptian patients presented at a single hospital. This study was cross sectional, so we cannot explain the pathophysiological effect of lipid peroxidation and IL-6 on atherosclerosis.
There are no conflicts of interest.
1. Yin H, Xu L, Porter NA. Free radical lipid peroxidation
: mechanisms and analysis. Chem Rev. 2011; 111:5944–5972
2. Ayala A, Muñoz MF, Argüelles S. Lipid peroxidation
: production, metabolism, and signaling mechanisms of malondialdehyde and 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2014; 2014:360438
3. Kim JY, Lee JW, Youn YJ, Ahn MS, Ahn SG, Yoo BS, et al. Urinary levels of 8-iso-prostaglandin f2α and 8-hydroxydeoxyguanine as markers of oxidative stress in patients with coronary artery disease. Korean Circ J. 2012; 42:614–617
4. Zhang Y, Du Y, He JF, Li KJ. 8-iso-prostaglandin-f2α: a possible trigger or accelerator of diabetic retinopathy. Int J Ophthalmol. 2016; 9:163–165
5. Hartman J, Frishman WH. Inflammation and atherosclerosis
: a review of the role of interleukin-6
in the development of atherosclerosis
and the potential for targeted drug therapy. Cardiol Rev. 2014; 22:147–151
6. Qu D, Liu J, Lau CW, Huang Y. IL-6 in diabetes and cardiovascular complications. Br J Pharmacol. 2014; 171:3595–3603
7. Leon BM, Maddox TM. Diabetes and cardiovascular disease: epidemiology, biological mechanisms, treatment recommendations and future research. World J Diabetes. 2015; 6:1246–1258
8. Bauer M, Caviezel S, Teynor A, Erbel R, Mahabadi AA, Schmidt-Trucksäss A. Carotid intima-media thickness as a biomarker of subclinical atherosclerosis
. Swiss Med Wkly. 2012; 142:w13705
9. Provost EB, Madhloum N, Int Panis L, De Boever P, Nawrot TS. Carotid intima-media thickness, a marker of subclinical atherosclerosis
, and particulate air pollution exposure: the meta-analytical evidence. Plos One. 2015; 10:e0127014
10. Amer MS, Khater MS, Omar OH, Mabrouk RA, Mostafa SA. Association between Framingham risk score and subclinical atherosclerosis
among elderly with both type 2 diabetes mellitus and healthy subjects. Am J Cardiovasc Dis. 2014; 4:14–19
11. Kadoglou NP, Sailer N, Kapelouzou A, Lampropoulos S, Vitta I, Kostakis A. Effects of atorvastatin on apelin, visfatin (nampt), ghrelin and early carotid atherosclerosis
in patients with type 2 diabetes. Acta Diabetol. 2012; 49:269–276
12. Kathir K, Dennis JM, Croft KD, Mori TA, Lau AK, Adams MR. Equivalent lipid oxidation profiles in advanced atherosclerotic lesions of carotid endarterectomy plaques obtained from symptomatic type 2 diabetic and nondiabetic subjects. Free Radic Biol Med. 2010; 49:481–486
13. Liu JB, Li WJ, Fu FM, Zhang XL, Jiao L, Cao LJ. Inverse correlation between serum adiponectin and 8-iso-prostaglandin F2α in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes patients. Int J Clin Exp Med. 2015; 8:6085–6090
14. Ono M, Takebe N, Oda T, Nakagawa R, Matsui M, Sasai T. Association of coronary artery calcification with MDA-LDL-C/LDL-C and urinary 8-isoprostane in Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes. Inter Med. 2014; 53:391–396
15. Yoon JH, Kim JY, Park JK, Ko SB. Oxidative damage markers are significantly associated with the carotid artery intima-media thickness after controlling for conventional risk factors of atherosclerosis
in men. Plos One. 2015; 10:e0119731
16. Guarneri M, Geraci C, Incalcaterra F, Arsena R, Mulè G, Vaccaro F, et al. Subclinical atherosclerosis
and fetuin-A plasma levels in essential hypertensive patients. Hypertens Res. 2013; 36:129–133
17. Yavuzer H, Yavuzer S, Cengiz M, Erman H, Doventas A, Balci H, et al. Biomarkers of lipid peroxidation
related to hypertension in aging. Hypertens Res. 2016; 39:342–348
18. Kuchta A, Strzelecki A, Ćwiklińska A, Totoń M, Gruchała M, Zdrojewski Z, et al. PON-1 activity and plasma 8-isoprostane concentration in patients with angiographically proven coronary artery disease. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2016; 2016:9
19. Autieri MV. Pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokine networks in atherosclerosis
. ISRN Vas Med. 2012; 2012:17
20. Zhang B, Wang J, Xu Y, Zhou X, Liu J, Xu J, et al. Correlative association of interleukin-6
with intima media thickness: a meta-analysis. Int J Clin Exp Med. 2015; 8:4731–4743
21. Dahlén EM, Tengblad A, Länne T, Clinchy B, Ernerudh J, Nystrom FH. Abdominal obesity and low-grade systemic inflammation as markers of subclinical organ damage in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Metab. 2014; 40:76–81
22. Reiss AB, Siegart NM, De Leon J. Interleukin-6
: atherogenic or atheroprotective? Clin Lipidol. 2017; 12:14–23