Interestingly in our case, the location of the lesion was the superior segment of the left lower lobe, an area that is typically not accessible by CP-EBUS, due to the size of the airway. With gentle manipulation of the bronchoscope, the probe was introduced into the segmental airway allowing the lesion to be visualized, characterized, and sampled. The diagnosis of chondrosarcoma was made from the cytology specimen from a 21-G needle without the need for further tissue sampling. This is contrary to the experiences published in the literature where larger histologic specimens are recommended to make the diagnosis of sarcomas.18,19
1. Amary MF, Damato S, Halai D, et al..Ollier disease and Maffucci syndrome
are caused by somatic mosaic mutations of IDH1 and IDH2.Nat Genet.2011;43:1262–1265.
2. Nakajima T, Yasufuku K, Suzuki M, et al..Histological diagnosis of spinal chondrosarcoma
by endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration.Respirology.2007;12:308–310.
3. de Almeida JR, Pagedar NA, Keshavjee S.Chondrosarcoma
of the trachea in a patient with Maffucci syndrome
.J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg.2010;39:E12–E15.
4. Wagnetz U, Patsios D, Darling G.Tracheal chondrosarcoma
—a rare complication in Maffucci syndrome
.Br J Radiol.2009;82:e178–e181.
5. Faik A, Allali F, El Hassani S.Maffucci’s syndrome: a case report.Clin Rheumatol.2006;25:88–91.
6. Auyeung J, Mohanty K, Tayton K.Maffucci lymphangioma syndrome: an unusual variant of Ollier’s disease, a case report and a review of the literature.J Pediatr Orthop Part B.2003;12:147–150.
7. Albregts AE, Rapini RP.Malignancy in Maffucci’s syndrome.Dermatol Clin.1995;13:73–78.
8. Kaplan RP, Wang JT, Amron DM.Maffucci’s syndrome: two case reports with a literature review.J Am Acad Dermatol.1993;29:894–899.
9. Fernandez-Aguilar S, Fayt I, Noel JC.Spindle cell vulvar hemangiomatosis associated with enchondromatosis: a rare variant of Maffucci’s syndrome.Int J Gynecol Pathol.2004;23:68–70.
10. Pastorino U, Buyse M, Friedel G, et al..Long-term results of lung metastasectomy: prognostic analyses based on 5206 cases. The International Registry of Lung Metastases.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg.1997;113:37–49.
11. Hayashi T, Tsuda N, Iseki M.Primary chondrosarcoma
of the lung. A clinicopathologic study.Cancer.1993;72:69–74.
12. Limmer S, Krokowski M, Kujath P.Pulmonary lymphangioma.Ann Thorac Surg.2008;85:336–339.
13. Benninghoff MG, Todd WU, Bascom R.Incidental pleural-based pulmonary lymphangioma.J Am Osteopath Assoc.2008;108:525–528.
14. Gu P, Zhao YZ, Jiang LY.Endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration for staging of lung cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur J Cancer.2009;45:1389–1396.
15. Adams K, Shah PL, Edmonds L.Test performance of endobronchial ultrasound and transbronchial needle aspiration biopsy for mediastinal staging in patients with lung cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis.Thorax.2009;64:757–762.
16. Tournoy KG, Govaerts E, Malfait T.Endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle biopsy for M1 staging of extrathoracic malignancies.Ann Oncol.2011;22:127–131.
17. Chow A, Oki M, Saka H.Metastatic mediastinal lymph node from an unidentified primary papillary thyroid carcinoma diagnosed by endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration.Intern Med.2009;48:1293–1296.
18. Noh KW, Wallace MB, Pascual JM.Fine-needle aspiration of peritumoral lymph nodes in esophageal cancer with endobronchial ultrasound.Endoscopy.2006;38:953–963.
19. Monaco SE, Schuchert MJ, Khalbuss WE.Diagnostic difficulties and pitfalls in rapid on-site evaluation of endobronchial ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration.Cytojournal.2010;7:9.